Converting to HDMI

Maxwell123

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Hello guys.
So recently got the money to upgrade my reeeeeally old monitor(1280x1024).
I loked around for used ones to get a good deal and i saw some cheap big ones.
Only problem is they only have dvi/vga and not HDMI.My question is will i get picture quality loss if i use a converter or simply use DVI?
My graphics card is HD 7850 2GB, if that matters.

Solution
DVI is a digital output just like HDMI, with pretty similar picture quality. The only big difference is, yes, it's a bit older, and it doesn't transport sound like HDMI. However, if you're smart you're not using your monitors onboard speakers. ;)

Anyhow, your HD 7850 is probably using HDMI 1.0. I don't know the specifics and if it matters if it's an HDMI 1.0 to DVI-D converter or a 2.0. I would just go with a DVI-D cable, no adapter, to keep things safe, mainly because you won't have any issues, and either way, you're still getting DVI-D quality because of the conversion.

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
DVI is a digital output just like HDMI, with pretty similar picture quality. The only big difference is, yes, it's a bit older, and it doesn't transport sound like HDMI. However, if you're smart you're not using your monitors onboard speakers. ;)

Anyhow, your HD 7850 is probably using HDMI 1.0. I don't know the specifics and if it matters if it's an HDMI 1.0 to DVI-D converter or a 2.0. I would just go with a DVI-D cable, no adapter, to keep things safe, mainly because you won't have any issues, and either way, you're still getting DVI-D quality because of the conversion.

Solution

Maxwell123

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

Thank you mate, i ll just get dvi monitors and save money.