Converting to RAID 0 Strategy

afroman7600

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
I currently have an 850 EVO SSD (500 GB, full) of which Windows 10 and all other data are on. Also, I have a 1TB WD Black Series that is completely empty. Both of these are installed and functioning properly.

Today, I have bought another 850 EVO and wish to install it and then setup my system to run and boot from, using RAID 0. Then continue to use the Black Series as 'extra' as I am now.

What would be the best way to go about accomplishing this?

Solution
You can make a system image of your current SSD on the WD, and then create a system repair disc. After that, you should be able to set up the array in the BIOS, then boot from the repair disc and restore the system from system image on the WD drive. There is one problem though. I've never actually restored a system image, because my drive has never failed, but the option is there, so I think ou could use it to copy everything you have now onto the new array.

Or alternatively, you can use a software that makes an image of the SSD, save it to the HDD and then copy it back to the raid array once it's been set up. The problem with this is that you'd need to boot up from another drive to restore the image after you've set up the array as...

PhysX_HW

Distinguished
You can make a system image of your current SSD on the WD, and then create a system repair disc. After that, you should be able to set up the array in the BIOS, then boot from the repair disc and restore the system from system image on the WD drive. There is one problem though. I've never actually restored a system image, because my drive has never failed, but the option is there, so I think ou could use it to copy everything you have now onto the new array.

Or alternatively, you can use a software that makes an image of the SSD, save it to the HDD and then copy it back to the raid array once it's been set up. The problem with this is that you'd need to boot up from another drive to restore the image after you've set up the array as you'd be unable to boot the old system.

Solution