Convince my mum not to buy the cheapest laptop on sale.

Cameroon36

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
2days ago me and my dad finished our £600-£700 gaming pc that can do 4k 60FPS youtube. Today I went to my mum's house and asked for a pc or a laptop to build. She said no even after seeing it be built,boot up in 27seconds , seeing the fancy aura lighting on the fans and motherboard the 1 TB sshd, the 7 hhd slots. Now she thinks you have to spend the same on a pc or laptop and she doesn't want to save up for a nice laptop for me to do schoolwork on and she can to what she can on it. I also want to build it and she thinks I will fail and waste her money after clearly seeing me build a high end pc and I designed and built the thing( with some help from my dad).since I spend most of my time at my mums house and I don't have a job Does anybody know what I can say to my mum so she doesn't buy the £150 laptop.

Solution
You don't get to "build" laptops like you do with a PC. You are lucky if you can change the cpu and the graphics card (if your laptop uses a MXM module), wifi, or have M2 slots to change the SSD, and upgrade ram. I have an old dell E-6500 that has 3 mini PCI-E slots, PCIMA Slot, Express Card slot, Smart Card reader (both physical and RF), a, actual zif socket so I could upgrade the CPU, and 2 DDR2 slots. This type of laptop cost well over $1000 dollars new and I still can't upgrade the graphics (well unless I do some craziness with an external gpu using an Express Card adapter to connect to an external case with a PCI-E slot). Just don't get the cheapest laptop out there and do your research on it before buying one and you can get a...

USAFRet

Titan
So wait....you just built 1 pretty reasonable PC at dad's house, and you want another at mom's house?
And you want mom to pay for it? You're actually serious? :ouch:

Fancy aura lighting, 1TB SSD, 27sec boot....all great. But has nothing to do with schoolwork.
Either buy a system for mom's house with your own money, or live with whatever she will fund.

I see the OP added to the post. I agree with USAF. You already have a good gaming PC. If it's for schoolwork, you are excused to have your mom pay for it. Otherwise, you are just being egoistical. For schoolwork, you do not need a high end laptop.

You don't get to "build" laptops like you do with a PC. You are lucky if you can change the cpu and the graphics card (if your laptop uses a MXM module), wifi, or have M2 slots to change the SSD, and upgrade ram. I have an old dell E-6500 that has 3 mini PCI-E slots, PCIMA Slot, Express Card slot, Smart Card reader (both physical and RF), a, actual zif socket so I could upgrade the CPU, and 2 DDR2 slots. This type of laptop cost well over $1000 dollars new and I still can't upgrade the graphics (well unless I do some craziness with an external gpu using an Express Card adapter to connect to an external case with a PCI-E slot). Just don't get the cheapest laptop out there and do your research on it before buying one and you can get a decent laptop. For school work you don't need a powerhouse but I would avoid any super low end laptops that have an Atom cpu or especially Brazos (they still sell that crap).. Get a big core cpu (Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake), or if you go AMD get Kaveri or Excavator (the AMD APU's tend to have a better IGPU than the intel cpus in the same price range).

Solution