Cool HL2 Mod updated

schrodinger

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Some of you may have used "Garry's mod" for HL2, which allowed you to do
crazy things like staple a spinning wheel to a combine.

It has now been updated with stuff like a "balloon gun" and tweaks to the
other aspects, including the ability to connect thrusting gas canisters to
anything and turn them on and off at will.

I have been playing with this mod for hours now and still have plans to do
stuff tomorrow.

It is now possible to spawn a flat piece of metal, then staple wheels to it.
Stand on it, then increase or reverse the wheel spin to make your own car!

Add balloons to make it fly, or venting cylinders to make an "air car",
which flies in any direction.

Spawn zombies and attach balloons to their hands. See them wave. Spawn
bricks, attach them together with a rope and then add a balloon and thruster
to them. Watch them go.

It is like having a dead posh meccano set with Lego, unlimited string and
explosives to play with!

http://www.garry.tv/garrysmod/

Regards

Schrodinger

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:02:15 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

>Some of you may have used "Garry's mod" for HL2, which allowed you to do
>crazy things like staple a spinning wheel to a combine.
>
>It has now been updated with stuff like a "balloon gun" and tweaks to the
>other aspects, including the ability to connect thrusting gas canisters to
>anything and turn them on and off at will.
>
>I have been playing with this mod for hours now and still have plans to do
>stuff tomorrow.
>
>It is now possible to spawn a flat piece of metal, then staple wheels to it.
>Stand on it, then increase or reverse the wheel spin to make your own car!
>
>Add balloons to make it fly, or venting cylinders to make an "air car",
>which flies in any direction.
>
>Spawn zombies and attach balloons to their hands. See them wave. Spawn
>bricks, attach them together with a rope and then add a balloon and thruster
>to them. Watch them go.
>
>It is like having a dead posh meccano set with Lego, unlimited string and
>explosives to play with!
>
>http://www.garry.tv/garrysmod/
>
>Regards
>
>Schrodinger

I've been keeping an eye on this mod and seeing the screen grabs of
some really cool stuff. Guess it's time to go ahead and re-install
Steam/HL2 and check it out for myself. Fun stuff.

Pluvious

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, "Schrodinger" wrote:

> I have been playing with this mod for hours now and still have plans to do
> stuff tomorrow.

oh please tell us something new!
every "tomorrow" for the rest of your life will be devoted to pathetically
play valve games over and over again
i guess the more you play the more fanatical and loyal you'll be to valve
right?
it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve products
have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are worrisome

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Schrodinger wrote:

> Some of you may have used "Garry's mod" for HL2, which allowed you to do
> crazy things like staple a spinning wheel to a combine.

This sounds more like a game editor than a mod to me. Is it true that HL2
levels still need to be compiled like in HL1? Wouldn't something like this
be cool in some kind of on-the-fly editor to make or at least crowd levels
with objects and stuff in realtime? How is it done with Doom3 and FarCry?

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, "Schrodinger" wrote:
>
>> I have been playing with this mod for hours now and still have plans to
>> do
>> stuff tomorrow.
>
> oh please tell us something new!
> every "tomorrow" for the rest of your life will be devoted to pathetically
> play valve games over and over again
> i guess the more you play the more fanatical and loyal you'll be to valve
> right?
> it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
> products
> have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are worrisome
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

Given the amount of anti Steam posts I have made, you have simply confirmed
yourself as a troll - and not a very good one at that.

schrodinger

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Schrodinger wrote:
>
>> Some of you may have used "Garry's mod" for HL2, which allowed you to do
>> crazy things like staple a spinning wheel to a combine.
>
> This sounds more like a game editor than a mod to me. Is it true that HL2
> levels still need to be compiled like in HL1? Wouldn't something like this
> be cool in some kind of on-the-fly editor to make or at least crowd levels
> with objects and stuff in realtime? How is it done with Doom3 and FarCry?

You *can* use this mod in any HL2 level...

> --
> Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
> "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> Given the amount of anti Steam posts I have made, you have simply
> confirmed yourself as a troll - and not a very good one at that.

Here here. I second that motion.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

When do we vote on this motion?

I vote that this is a troll!

difool wrote:

> it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
> products have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are
> worrisome

I agree. Ever since Steam was released it turned you into a homicidal
maniac!

Schrodinger wrote:

> You *can* use this mod in any HL2 level...

How?

"Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message

> Schrodinger wrote:
>>
>> You *can* use this mod in any HL2 level...
>>

> How?

Look around the area you start in, there may some helpful pictorial
hints....

schrodinger

"Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message

> Schrodinger wrote:
>>
>> You *can* use this mod in any HL2 level...
>>

> How?

Start the mod via Steam. Start a new game. Look in the right hand
corridor, next to where the vehicles are kept.

"Use" a picture to enter that level. You cannot progress through the whole
game, as in at least one place you need the rocket launcher to get past a
gunship, but you can play through large sections by attaching spinning tyres
to combines and shooting zombies with bricks!

You can also use the cheat console to load any level. Check
www.gamefaqs.com for further details.

My favourite is roping combine together, attach a rope to, say, a car wreck.
Attach wheels to said wreck (making sure opposite sides are spinning in the
*same* direction - as you don't want it to go forward). Set things spinning
and see them fly off!

Hank the Rapper wrote:
> difool wrote:
>

>>it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
>>products have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are
>>worrisome
>

> I agree. Ever since Steam was released it turned you into a homicidal
> maniac!

You spelled "homosexual" wrong, and left out the prefix "nympho-".

Naw, just a goat chomping Troll, and not a very good one at that....
Everyone is laughing at his ignorance....

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:36:56 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>difool wrote:
>
>> it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
>> products have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are
>> worrisome
>
>I agree. Ever since Steam was released it turned you into a homicidal
>maniac!

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

I didn't compose this but I love it!!!

Killah Gorillah wrote:
> Hank the Rapper wrote:
> > I agree. Ever since Steam was released it turned you into a
homicidal
> > maniac!
>
> You spelled "homosexual" wrong, and left out the prefix "nympho-".

Easy now! There's no evidence of that. Don't get carried away into
trolling yourself.

But I cast my vote in favour of Troll status for difool. Look at the
example on this thread.

Schrodinger: I like this mod. It's fun.
difool: It's a mod of HL2, HL2 is delivered through Steam. I don't like
Steam. Steam was made by Valve. Therefore Valve are cynically
manipulating Schrodinger! QED! Ha ha! I am teh master! I am Gordon! Ha
Ha! Crowbars to the lot of you! [collapses gibbering in corner]

Werner Spahl wrote:
> This sounds more like a game editor than a mod to me. Wouldn't
something like this
> be cool in some kind of on-the-fly editor to make or at least crowd
levels
> with objects and stuff in realtime?

Other way round. This is a mod, not an editor. Garry has edited the
code for the game and recompiled it so that you can do all these
effects in-game and on-the-fly - exactly as you wish for. In an editor,
the effects are pre-constructed at compile time and will appear
ready-made when you play the game.
It doesn't look like you can make your own maps with pre-constructed
Garry-style creations, but you might be able to make a map with all the
bits lying around, start HL2 with Garry'sMod and then use the console
to run your new map. You would then be able to make wierd creations in
your own map.

> Is it true that HL2
> levels still need to be compiled like in HL1?
Yes. You can now download the SDK through Steam. It includes the Hammer
editor to make the levels and all the compile programs you need.

Personally, I'd love to see this mod available as an editor resource so
you can build levels with bizarre machina in them. Better still, the
ability for the player to build stuff in-game should be enabled when
they pick up a certain weapon - the same as the you can't chuck things
around until you get the gravity gun, and you can't chuck people around
until you get the super gravity gun.

Werner Spahl wrote:
> Now imagine a level editor in which you use
> something like Garrys mod after the geometry is compiled to place all
the
> entities on the fly and then fix the whole level together with some
kind
> of snapshot after everything has been placed like you wanted it.
After
> all I think this is the way the gravity gun was used in the first
place.

I see what you mean. Make the basic level in Hammer/Quark, then do the
fancy stuff in-game so you can see the reuslts instantly and test it
properly. And then save it somehow so the next time you play the map
it's all there ready for you.
That would be great, but from what I've seen of Hammer so far, your
prior experience with HL1 is nearer the mark. Shame. I wonder if Garry
will nmake his entities etc available so they can be used in the
editor, a la Spirit?

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 chadwick110@hotmail.com wrote:

> Other way round. This is a mod, not an editor. Garry has edited the
> code for the game and recompiled it so that you can do all these
> effects in-game and on-the-fly - exactly as you wish for.

I know, but this must get old fast, without being useful to play the game
itself and such a mod would make much more sense for editing levels.

> In an editor, the effects are pre-constructed at compile time and will
> appear ready-made when you play the game.

Again I know this. I did a small HL mod called Xen-Warrior (search for
xenwar on fileplanet ;) in which you play as an alien grunt, using the at
that time already defunct but cool levelpack HL-Chronicles and the great
QuArK editor, by changing only the entities and not the level geometry
itself (besides some nice engine stuff using Spirit of HL :). I always had
to place stuff in the editor, compile it into the level bsp, then play to
check it out, repeat again. Now imagine a level editor in which you use
something like Garrys mod after the geometry is compiled to place all the
entities on the fly and then fix the whole level together with some kind
of snapshot after everything has been placed like you wanted it. After
all I think this is the way the gravity gun was used in the first place.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> typed as if devouring a plate of
spoo:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, "Schrodinger" wrote:
>
>> I have been playing with this mod for hours now and still have plans
>> to do stuff tomorrow.
>
> oh please tell us something new!
> every "tomorrow" for the rest of your life will be devoted to
> pathetically play valve games over and over again
> i guess the more you play the more fanatical and loyal you'll be to
> valve right?
> it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
> products have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are
> worrisome

Dude, if you hate HL so much now, what're you still doing in AGHL?

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Schrodinger <no@way.com> wrote:
> "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
>>
>> oh please tell us something new!
>> every "tomorrow" for the rest of your life will be devoted to pathetically
>> play valve games over and over again
>> i guess the more you play the more fanatical and loyal you'll be to valve
>> right?
>> it would be definitively worth doing a study about the affect valve
>> products
>> have in humans, cause the signs showed in this newsgroup are worrisome
>>
>> --
>> post made in a steam-free computer
>> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>>
>> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
>> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
>
> Given the amount of anti Steam posts I have made, you have simply confirmed
> yourself as a troll - and not a very good one at that.

not a very good one, eh? i guess that's why he receives so few replies!

vinCe

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"i own a yacht" wrote

> <no@way.com> wrote:

>> Given the amount of anti Steam posts I have made, you have simply
>> confirmed
>> yourself as a troll - and not a very good one at that.

> not a very good one, eh? i guess that's why he receives so few replies!

Do I detect a slight hint of sarcasm Mr Yacht?

You're right of course. Difool can write any rubbish he wants and he will
still get loads of responses.

He should get company sponsorship.

"Nice carpet... is it a Tideyman's?".