[SOLVED] Cool Master Hyper 212 Black vs Noctua NH-U12S chromax black

1hip

Prominent
Jul 11, 2020
Hey everyone, I wanted to get your input on which CPU cooler I should get for my new PC. I currently have the stock CPU Cooler that AMD provides but my temps have been really high. I wanted to get your opinion on which cooler is better between the CM Hyper 212 Black edition or the Noctua NH-U12S. If anyone has experience with them, can you share your current temps, if changing the cooler helped, etc.

My current temps are:
Idle - 55-60°C
Gaming - 80-90°C

My build includes:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler - Stock Cooler
Motherboard - Gigabyte Aorus Pro AC
GPU - MSI 2080 Super
Case - Fractal Design Meshify C (2 fans in the front as intake, 2 fans on top as exhaust, and one fan in rear as exhaust).

Solution
NH-U12S hands down.
Ryzen 3000 is different from both Intel and it's older Ryzen cousins though. Unlike the other 2, during high active thread activity, these cpus will try to push for higher frequencies if extra thermal headroom is available; the single thread frequencies during lighter loads will remain the same though.
Because of the underlined portion, you'll likely still see full load thermals around 80C(they seem to like that number), but it will have done so with slightly higher frequencies.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NH-U12S hands down.
Ryzen 3000 is different from both Intel and it's older Ryzen cousins though. Unlike the other 2, during high active thread activity, these cpus will try to push for higher frequencies if extra thermal headroom is available; the single thread frequencies during lighter loads will remain the same though.
Because of the underlined portion, you'll likely still see full load thermals around 80C(they seem to like that number), but it will have done so with slightly higher frequencies.

Solution

1hip

Prominent
Jul 11, 2020
Thanks for your input. I would also like to ask, Since my PC is already built and im using the stock cooler, will I need to disconnect everything and take the motherboard out to install the new cooler or can I change it out with the Motherboard still being in the case? Will installing the cooler or cleaning the CPU be really hard?

Thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for your input. I would also like to ask, Since my PC is already built and im using the stock cooler, will I need to disconnect everything and take the motherboard out to install the new cooler or can I change it out with the Motherboard still being in the case? Will installing the cooler or cleaning the CPU be really hard?

Thanks
Pretty sure you will have to take the motherboard out; different backplates.