cool & Quite

I have a K8V delux MB running a AMD 3200+ chip. I have set the cpu
fan in bios to run all the time. What I find is at times the CPU is
running at 800 then it will go up to 2000 and back to 1800. But quite
often it fails to run back down to 800 and a restart is the only way
to get Cool & Quite back to 800 even then quite often it ramps up to
1800 and goes between 1800 and 2000. The reason I ask is when cpu at
800 PC probe show the cpu at 31C and when at 1800 it runs at 38C. Is
there any way to make cool and quite also go back to 800 when the cpu
is not in heavy use.

Ed

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 02:48:32 GMT, David Wells <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I have a K8V delux MB running a AMD 3200+ chip. I have set the cpu
>fan in bios to run all the time. What I find is at times the CPU is
>running at 800 then it will go up to 2000 and back to 1800. But quite
>often it fails to run back down to 800 and a restart is the only way
>to get Cool & Quite back to 800 even then quite often it ramps up to
>1800 and goes between 1800 and 2000. The reason I ask is when cpu at
>800 PC probe show the cpu at 31C and when at 1800 it runs at 38C. Is
>there any way to make cool and quite also go back to 800 when the cpu
>is not in heavy use.

There are some known issues with C&Q (look in the readme for the AMD64 CPU update.exe), but I haven't seen that happen
on our MSI FIS2R boards here, one has a 3400+ the other two are 3000+ (with one of those @ 220x10).

Ed