[SOLVED] Coolant Setup Ideas?

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
I'm at a stage where I have all my bits and bobs assembled and all I need to do is keep it cool.
I've been looking into liquid cooling and I've been brainstorming some ideas, some conventional some unconventional.
I'd like your thoughts as to the following coolant routes, whether they are viable, crazy, been done before, uneconomical or whatever.
All assuming the goal of keeping gpu and cpu as cool as possible.

1 Pump > cpu > gpu > rad > pump
2 Pump > gpu > cpu > rad > pump
3 Pump > gpu > rad > cpu> pump
4 Pump > cpu > rad1 > gpu > rad2 > pump
5 Pump > cpu > rad1 > gpu > rad1 > pump
6 Pump > cpu > gpu > rad1 > rad2 > pump

Solution
I seriously doubt that..

This has been debated and tested so many times by so many its getting boring to reply to it...
Loop order does not matter since the waterflow is so "fast" the water in the heat area (CPU or GPU block) only heats up maybe 1 - 2 degrees. The water in the loop will continue to rise until equilibrium is reatched (radiator cooling power + ambient room temp)
Just like in a car

This is basic thermal dynamics.

Sure if you have 10 or more 2080Ti`s in the loop I would agree that loop order is something to pay attention to.

But with a CPU + GPU it does not matter at all. Even with 2 x 2080Ti it does not matter.
I seriously doubt that..

This has been debated and tested so many times by so many its getting boring to reply to it...
Loop order does not matter since the waterflow is so "fast" the water in the heat area (CPU or GPU block) only heats up maybe 1 - 2 degrees. The water in the loop will continue to rise until equilibrium is reatched (radiator cooling power + ambient room temp)
Just like in a car

This is basic thermal dynamics.

Sure if you have 10 or more 2080Ti`s in the loop I would agree that loop order is something to pay attention to.

But with a CPU + GPU it does not matter at all. Even with 2 x 2080Ti it does not matter.

Last edited:
Solution
On my old setup i ran a i7 980x at 4.5Ghz, Motherboard waterblock on a Asus Rampage 3 extreme, 4 GTX 670 Superclocked cards, and a 480 + 360mm radiators.

I ran the loop forwards and backwards and temps only moved a few degrees across the components. Like the video from Jayztwocents shows, order doesnt matter.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There are only very small percentage differences which overall contribute to +/-3% or so deviation, which could also be due to software and hardware loading stress tests slightly different for different runs. This is why you rarely get the exact same 3DMark or (insert any benchmark name here) score.

The only things that make a real difference in loop order is setting yourself up for failure to maintain. IE if you have a bunch of loops and tubes going up and down, it'll be very hard to drain and service which means you wont do it as often and you'll be more prone to issues with corrosion or growth.

Give yourself a fill port at the top, keep your runs short, and give yourself a drain valve at the bottom. The rest will take care of itself.

The only things that make a real difference in loop order is setting yourself up for failure to maintain. IE if you have a bunch of loops and tubes going up and down, it'll be very hard to drain and service which means you wont do it as often and you'll be more prone to issues with corrosion or growth.

Give yourself a fill port at the top, keep your runs short, and give yourself a drain valve at the bottom. The rest will take care of itself.

Or you can just add a T fitting and a Ball valve right before the water goes back into the reservoir. Close the ball valve, add a tube in the T fitting and just keep adding destilled water into the reservoir until the system is flushed. Remove the tube, add block fitting and open ball valve back up. I have 2 x 480mm and a 360mm with with PETG tubes going up and down. It takes me about 3 - 5 min to flush the system and fill it back up. Been running now for 3 years no problem.
And yes before anyone ask ofc I use anti corrosion and anti algea. :D