[SOLVED] Coolant temperature AIO

Elfunia

Honorable
Sep 30, 2014
Hi. I found out that nzxt and corsairs aio can be set on coolant temp. I would like that option.
I want to buy liqfusion 240 from enermax.
Does all liquid coolers can do that ? Or it's special for those two manufacturers ?
Hard to find any info on official websites of coolant temp sensors.

Solution
No, that's not a common feature. The design strategy for most AIO systems is that the pump should run at full speed all the time. Then the cooling is adjusted solely by changing the speed of the rad fans. On many systems that rad fan control is done simply by the normal mobo CPU_FAN control system. It monitors the temperature inside the CPU chip by a sensor built into the chip that sends its signal out on a pin, and adjusts the fan speed signal it sends out according to that temp. On some systems, rather than let the CPU_FAN header do that job, the AIO makers use their own software to access that same internal temp sensor and do their own fan speed control.

For those common designs, there is no need at all to know the temperature of...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No, that's not a common feature. The design strategy for most AIO systems is that the pump should run at full speed all the time. Then the cooling is adjusted solely by changing the speed of the rad fans. On many systems that rad fan control is done simply by the normal mobo CPU_FAN control system. It monitors the temperature inside the CPU chip by a sensor built into the chip that sends its signal out on a pin, and adjusts the fan speed signal it sends out according to that temp. On some systems, rather than let the CPU_FAN header do that job, the AIO makers use their own software to access that same internal temp sensor and do their own fan speed control.

For those common designs, there is no need at all to know the temperature of the coolant flowing around the loop. Some systems add that sensor and readout system simply to give you more info, but may not use it for any control purpose. Other systems may actually use it to make adjustments to PUMP speed, rather than leaving that speed constant. This makes the overall control system more complex because now you have TWO systems trying to affect the CPU temperature, and there is the possibility they will complete for control. So the overall system must plan for that and prevent it. That can be done with logic or sometimes just with control loop tuning parameters. Whether the result of this more sophisticated and complex control strategy gives improved cooling performance, I cannot say. Just from pure speculation I can anticipate that the complex process may allow the pump to run slower most of the time, lengthening its lifetime, while still ensuring all the cooling required at high workloads when they happen.

Because this is a more complex control system design, it is more expensive, and is clearly promoted for products that have that feature. If it does not make the claim, it does not have the feature.

Solution