Question Cooler and fans are not running on my first build ?

Oct 7, 2024
Hi,

I just managed to complete my first ever build, however when booting & installing Windows,
none of the fans are turning on, and more worrying.. neither is the cooler!

This is way too pricey of a cpu for me to take risks, so I've shut everything down as soon as windows was done installing.

I'm positive everything is plugged into the correct spots:
- cpu_fan for the cooler, this cooler has 2 fans which I've daisy-chained (really can't go wrong, only one way to connect them)
- sys_fan 1 through 5 for the fans (opted not to use the hub that came with the case).

And I don't think I could've plugged those in backwards/upside down onto the board, pretty sure they only fit one way.
Ram is working (or at least the rgb turns on) so I take it the motherboard is properly powered/connected?

Is this something I have to turn on manually in the Bios?
Or am I not hitting some treshold yet for them to turn on?

Pretty sure at least the cpu-cooler should always be running!?

I took the front cover off and already so much heat had built up, even though it's almost a 50% open/mesh case.
Not to the point where I couln't touch the cooler though...
So hopefully I'm ok, to be honest I'm a bit scared of this system I put together.

First AMD & my old pre-built i7 (that I used for nearly a decade) always ran really cool.

Thanks in advance!

>7950x
>MSI x670EGamingPlusWifi
>Dark Rock Pro 5 (probably should've gone watercooling, but I don't like the idea. This cpu has been tested with less powerful coolers with minimal performance loss ).

- cpu_fan for the cooler, this cooler has 2 fans which I've daisy-chained (really can't go wrong, only one way to connect them)
- sys_fan 1 through 5 for the fans (opted not to use the hub that came with the case).
Please show a photo of your system with side panel removed.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

have you checked fan settings in the BIOS?
it's possible there is a "silent" or similar setting that is enabled keeping fans from running until a certain temperature range is hit.

and what are you using for motherboard control software within the OS?
there should be settings here for fan control also that should show the fan speed curve and more related information.

Oct 7, 2024
Please show a photo of your system with side panel removed.
(upload to imgur.com and post link

Damn I tried to sign up using a fake phone number (why do they need it??). Now I have to wait a bit before trying again (or use another site if you can recommend one). Sorry for the hassle, I'll try again a an hour or two

Oct 7, 2024
have you checked fan settings in the BIOS?
it's possible there is a "silent" or similar setting that is enabled keeping fans from running until a certain temperature range is hit.

and what are you using for motherboard control software within the OS?
there should be settings here for fan control also that should show the fan speed curve and more related information.
I have not, I can't lie I know almost nothing about pc's...
I'm happy I managed to get everything on the motherboard after some learning, and get it running to the point where I could install windows!
I'm going to take a day or two to really study up on (how to use) BIOS before I mess with it!

There is a switch on the cooler itself, (quiet or performance mode). I have set it to the latter.

I'm not using anything for software yet, I installed windows and got scared because of the no-cooler/hot gpu situation, and powered down the pc.
That's where i'm currently at.

There IS software that comes with the mobo that should allow me to check temps and alter fan speed manually though.
Perhaps it is indeed a threshold, but I somehow doubt it!
Thanks for replying!

Oct 7, 2024
Go into BIOS and make sure your fans are set to PWM mode.
It may be necessary to adjust fan curves.

Or may be fans are set to quiet mode and will start spinning, when certain temperature is reached.
Ok, will do tomorrow (and report back wether I succeed or not).
I need to sleep & borrow a wired keyboard.
Thank you!

Oct 7, 2024
Go into BIOS and make sure your fans are set to PWM mode.
It may be necessary to adjust fan curves.

Or may be fans are set to quiet mode and will start spinning, when certain temperature is reached.

If I click "all fans full", everything should turn on to full right? Or at least the selected fan?

It's not doing anything, I can see 0RPM for everything. As well as my cpu temp rising, which made me very nervous so I shut the system off again...

I tried setting all to PDW, I see data on the graph but still no fans spinning. Do I need to SAVE settings & EXIT for it to show any effect???

Even on the lowest temperatures (from 0 celcius) fans should be spinning according to the default curve.
And i still don't understand how "auto" or ''dc'' doesn't mean at least some airflow instead of absolutely Zero.

I really think I have to hire somebody to come take a look.
I can't express how much I don't like dealing with this, there's way too much I do not understand, and I'll have forgotten it all by the time I need a new PC.

Thank you for trying though!

I tried setting all to PDW, I see data on the graph but still no fans spinning.
Do I need to SAVE settings & EXIT for it to show any effect???
Obviously.
New settings take effect only after saving changes and a reboot.
Even on the lowest temperatures (from 0 celcius) fans should be spinning according to the default curve.
Please show screenshots. Use your phone camera to take screen photos from BIOS.
And i still don't understand how "auto" or ''dc'' doesn't mean at least some airflow instead of absolutely Zero.
Fan DC mode is meant for 3pin fans.
You have 4pin fans and have to use PWM mode - on ALL 4pin fans.
If you have wrong mode fan settings, fans will not get regulated properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odolz
Hi,

I just managed to complete my first ever build, however when booting & installing Windows,

This is way too pricey of a cpu for me to take risks, so I've shut everything down as soon as windows was done installing.

I'm positive everything is plugged into the correct spots:

And I don't think I could've plugged those in backwards/upside down onto the board, pretty sure they only fit one way.
Ram is working (or at least the rgb turns on) so I take it the motherboard is properly powered/connected?

Or am I not hitting some treshold yet for them to turn on?

Pretty sure at least the cpu-cooler should always be running!?

I took the front cover off and already so much heat had built up, even though it's almost a 50% open/mesh case.
Not to the point where I couln't touch the cooler though...
So hopefully I'm ok, to be honest I'm a bit scared of this system I put together.

First AMD & my old pre-built i7 (that I used for nearly a decade) always ran really cool.

Thanks in advance!

>7950x
>MSI x670EGamingPlusWifi
>Dark Rock Pro 5 (probably should've gone watercooling, but I don't like the idea. This cpu has been tested with less powerful coolers with minimal performance loss ).
Update your bios to latest version this sounds like you got a old stock bios with the fan bug. I've seen it effect some old 670 e both on Asus and msi

Reactions: Odolz
Oct 7, 2024
Obviously.
New settings take effect only after saving changes and a reboot.

Please show screenshots. Use your phone camera to take screen photos from BIOS.

Fan DC mode is meant for 3pin fans.
You have 4pin fans and have to use PWM mode - on ALL 4pin fans.
If you have wrong mode fan settings, fans will not get regulated properly.

Not obvious (enough) if you are clueless.
Saving to me means, ''I'm happy with this.. I'd like to keep these setting going forward''.
Since nothing changed, I'm not happy.
But I'm not here to argue, I'll try saving & rebooting to see if it works. Thank you!

If that fixes it, screenshots won't be needed hopefully!

Understood on the 3pin vs 4pin difference. I guess I'm having trouble wording my searches, as I'm not getting the results I'm looking for. Feel like this would've been an easy search. Thanks again for your time!

Oct 7, 2024
Update your bios to latest version this sounds like you got a old stock bios with the fan bug. I've seen it effect some old 670 e both on Asus and msi
Thank you!
I'll try the previous answer first (I was apparently meant to save&reboot for changes to take effect). If that doesn't fix it I'll update the Bios. Good to know this could be a known (and fixable) issue.

Oct 7, 2024
The issue from what I can tell is bios related or power related so if bios update fails then I would put it to a faulty board.
Would this "fan bug" also affect the cpu-cooler though?
Trying/testing will have to wait till tomorrow (for me) since I'm not next to my new pc at the moment.
Upgrading Bios is yet another thing I've never done before, but at least it's explained clearly in the manual.

Appreciate you helping!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Would this "fan bug" also affect the cpu-cooler though?
Trying/testing will have to wait till tomorrow (for me) since I'm not next to my new pc at the moment.
Upgrading Bios is yet another thing I've never done before, but at least it's explained clearly in the manual.

Appreciate you helping!
With a new build the fans should work without changing any setting.
If your CPU fan is connected to the motherboards CPU fan header it should just work period.

Unplug all the other fans and anything going to the fan hub.
If the CPU cooler fan is not running then something is broke more than likely the fan headers.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2024
With a new build the fans should work without changing any setting.
If your CPU fan is connected to the motherboards CPU fan header it should just work period.
Like I said, this is my first ever build.
However I feel pretty confident I connected everything properly. I really took my time learning/studying the manual.

2nd picture shows the cpu-cooler connected to cpu_fan on the motherboard.
The cooler has 2 fans, which are connected through a ''daisy chain'' (really only one way to do it).

I feel like I'm getting conflicting info (appreciate you all though)...
Either:
> It should just work on a new build
or
> I have to enable things myself in the bios
or
> Motherboard is potentially bugged or broken / needs a bios upgrade

Not really where I wanted to find myself right now...
I'd f** around in the bios/software myself if it wasn't for this cpu running without a fan, which is just scaring me.

Thank you!

Like I said, this is my first ever build.
However I feel pretty confident I connected everything properly. I really took my time learning/studying the manual.

2nd picture shows the cpu-cooler connected to cpu_fan on the motherboard.
The cooler has 2 fans, which are connected through a ''daisy chain'' (really only one way to do it).

I feel like I'm getting conflicting info (appreciate you all though)...
Either:
> It should just work on a new build
or
> I have to enable things myself in the bios
or
> Motherboard is potentially bugged or broken / needs a bios upgrade

Not really where I wanted to find myself right now...
I'd f** around in the bios/software myself if it wasn't for this cpu running without a fan, which is just scaring me.

Thank you!
Remove all fan plugs apart from CPU fan. Again your not the first person to have this issue. Updating the bios shouldn't make the CPU work hard. I googled your motherboard and chipset and found others and the closest I could find was MSI knew of a fault in one of there bios that caused fans not to work properly.

You can use this if you want to run the fans directly of the power supply.
As A stop gap till bios has fans running properly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-C...1&sprefix=4+pin+to+molex+akasa,aps,100&sr=8-4

Oct 7, 2024
Remove all fan plugs apart from CPU fan. Again your not the first person to have this issue. Updating the bios shouldn't make the CPU work hard. I googled your motherboard and chipset and found others and the closest I could find was MSI knew of a fault in one of there bios that caused fans not to work properly.

You can use this if you want to run the fans directly of the power supply.
As A stop gap till bios has fans running properly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CBFA03-45-Flexa-Splitter-Cable/dp/B005EKU5CO/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=3ULZNBPPFVL1Q&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.nH9QnivHPMvOju2CqzdTaVd6v0n_jlYZ3D7v_nUcKvqdku6SDkPf74ZX6PsJdy2LX1NEbO0DkbZQYdzN5UM8vjfvhx57Nn_yaTQBVQsAS8t3LGfPxFpoBC7sqyVDVOmX7HuGITHXyT3DMkVAu3nbDobFO_s7DyhuC8kr90FN7vaLYC7_oBdIV_6WAHohuNW-R-0CETTqBkc6xK2ovcHegA.knNTHkXtGPGKjKbBmMfIlPCqbev9wjjSOV_vMHN5Lkc&dib_tag=se&keywords=4+pin+to+molex+akasa&nsdOptOutParam=true&qid=1729630971&sprefix=4+pin+to+molex+akasa,aps,100&sr=8-4
I'll add this to the list of things to try tomorrow.

There's a pre-built hub in the case (5fan, 5rgb), pretty sure I can connect that to a single fan header (same thing no?).

I opted not to use it so I could tune fans individually (fine-tuning though... not from the start), but I can try...
Left the (a)rgb cables unconnected for now on purpose.

What would be an acceptable temp for this cpu during bios (no cooling). I saw temps rising as I was trying to figure out the fans, but turned the system off pretty quickly. So not sure if it would've capped at some point.

Thanks, I'm off to bed!

I'll add this to the list of things to try tomorrow.

There's a pre-built hub in the case (5fan, 5rgb), pretty sure I can connect that to a single fan header (same thing no?).

I opted not to use it so I could tune fans individually (fine-tuning though... not from the start), but I can try...
Left the (a)rgb cables unconnected for now on purpose.

What would be an acceptable temp for this cpu during bios (no cooling). I saw temps rising as I was trying to figure out the fans, but turned the system off pretty quickly. So not sure if it would've capped at some point.

Thanks, I'm off to bed!

I would use the pre built hub make and model of case and check the manual of the case what argb cable voltage is it will either be 5v or 12v the motherboard will have that connector but check your motherboard manual it must match correctly or you'll damage the board if you plug a 5v into a 12v pin.

the hub would just split the single motherboard header's PWM signal to all connected fans with an external power source.

it would mean that all of those fans would share the same speed curve profile
with no separate profiles for rear, front, top, etc.

once you get the situation sorted out and headers working properly
i would only use the hub for a single location's fans;
in your case the front 3
so those fans wouldn't need 3 separate motherboard headers.

i would leave top & rear using their own headers and their own separate speed curve(s).

Oct 7, 2024
I would use the pre built hub make and model of case and check the manual of the case what argb cable voltage is it will either be 5v or 12v the motherboard will have that connector but check your motherboard manual it must match correctly or you'll damage the board if you plug a 5v into a 12v pin.

I won't be using rgb until this is sorted, most likely I'll never connect those at all (not something I care about).
Only reason I have argb fans is because the case was more affordable/best deal (same with ram).

Just the fans and the cpu-cooler are connected to the board.

the hub would just split the single motherboard header's PWM signal to all connected fans with an external power source.

it would mean that all of those fans would share the same speed curve profile
with no separate profiles for rear, front, top, etc.

once you get the situation sorted out and headers working properly
i would only use the hub for a single location's fans;
in your case the front 3
so those fans wouldn't need 3 separate motherboard headers.

i would leave top & rear using their own headers and their own separate speed curve(s).

yep, individual control is why I opted to connect them directly to the motherboard instead of the hub.
But running the front 3 fans at the same speed would be fine / make my life easier, i agree.
I'll probably do that should I get things running. Thanks

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost