[SOLVED] Cooler, case and psu swap. Is my motherboard or CPU toast?

Sep 17, 2020
Specs are as follows:

Ryzen 5 2600
Asus Strix x470-f gaming
36 Gb corsair ram (four sticks)
Corsair 850 watt power supply.

Details:
I was doing a cooler, case and psu swap with my unit. When I went to remove my old corsair h100i I pulled up and the CPU came up with the unit. I need floss to work the CPU free of the cooler.

I with some fumbling I managed to get the CPU back in. I installed my new cooler. Then moved the MB cases. Installed the new psu.

When i went to turn it on I got this effect:
Video of motherboard

With some fiddling I unplugged the sata items, the GPU, my keyboard and what not and then plugging the power back in. Orange light was solid, the board was flashing colours like full power. The case wouldn't turn on.

I switched back to my old case and psu. Plugged everything in. Turned it on. All I'm getting is the amber blinking light. Power will not turn on.

Any idea what's going on? Did I fry my MB? Is the CPU the cause?

Solution
Well, safe is a relative term. Certainly won't hurt anything if you can bend it back successfully. The risk exists to break the pin off. If it is an important one, well it will 'break' the CPU. Many of the power and ground pins are redundant, and some pins will actually be unused. But a good number will be going out to the memory, chipset, and PCIe bus and are necessary for operation.

Bent pins are not the end of the world.

Basically if the CPU goes in and out of the socket easily, no bent pins. Doesn't rule out a broken one though. If you have to force it in, then certainly some or all are bent. Credit cards, razor blades, mechanical pencils are useful for straightening and realigning the pins. Pencil/tweezers to pull pins back...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Check the CPU, bent pins, maybe one got broken off and is still in the socket. Or there was enough force to break something.

Maybe spend the $50 on a cheap motherboard just to test the CPU, and/or get a a cheap Athlon to test your motherboard.

Sep 17, 2020
Check the CPU, bent pins, maybe one got broken off and is still in the socket. Or there was enough force to break something.

Maybe spend the $50 on a cheap motherboard just to test the CPU, and/or get a a cheap Athlon to test your motherboard.

Is it safe to bend pins back? If pins are bent is it safe to assume the CPU is toast?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, safe is a relative term. Certainly won't hurt anything if you can bend it back successfully. The risk exists to break the pin off. If it is an important one, well it will 'break' the CPU. Many of the power and ground pins are redundant, and some pins will actually be unused. But a good number will be going out to the memory, chipset, and PCIe bus and are necessary for operation.

Basically if the CPU goes in and out of the socket easily, no bent pins. Doesn't rule out a broken one though. If you have to force it in, then certainly some or all are bent. Credit cards, razor blades, mechanical pencils are useful for straightening and realigning the pins. Pencil/tweezers to pull pins back upright, razor or credit card to straighten whole rows.

Doubtful something in the socket or motherboard broke, but it is possible.

Solution
Sep 17, 2020

Basically if the CPU goes in and out of the socket easily, no bent pins. Doesn't rule out a broken one though. If you have to force it in, then certainly some or all are bent. Credit cards, razor blades, mechanical pencils are useful for straightening and realigning the pins. Pencil/tweezers to pull pins back upright, razor or credit card to straighten whole rows.

Doubtful something in the socket or motherboard broke, but it is possible.

It took some force to get the CPU in yes. So I'm guessing some pins are bent, if not snapped from the reinstall. I'll take a look but for now I'll assume the CPU is toast and needs to be replaced.