[SOLVED] Cooler Compatibility

May 7, 2021
I will be building on an ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (AM4 Socket) motherboard, using G.Skill Trident Z-neo RAM and Samsung 980 PRO SSD's. Those are on order and I am trying to find a compatible cooler. I am considering a Noctua NH-U12A which contains a broad statement of "fits all modern boards" or something to that effect. My case is a full tower to insure there's headroom and the two fans on the Noctua can be offset a bit so I think this will work, but I'm asking to see if anyone has direct knowledge of the fit.

I would like to make this a themed build so I will be replacing the brown fans that come with the cooler with others that can be illuminated, etc. I am planning to overclock, so I thought the two fan Noctua was a safe bet. If someone knows of another cooler that is known to work with my configuration, I'd like to get that recommendation as well.

Thanks!

Solution
I will be building on an ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (AM4 Socket) motherboard, using G.Skill Trident Z-neo RAM and Samsung 980 PRO SSD's. Those are on order and I am trying to find a compatible cooler. I am considering a Noctua NH-U12A which contains a broad statement of "fits all modern boards" or something to that effect. My case is a full tower to insure there's headroom and the two fans on the Noctua can be offset a bit so I think this will work, but I'm asking to see if anyone has direct knowledge of the fit.

I would like to make this a themed build so I will be replacing the brown fans that come with the cooler with others that can be illuminated, etc. I am planning to overclock, so I thought the two fan Noctua was a...

I would like to make this a themed build so I will be replacing the brown fans that come with the cooler with others that can be illuminated, etc. I am planning to overclock, so I thought the two fan Noctua was a safe bet. If someone knows of another cooler that is known to work with my configuration, I'd like to get that recommendation as well.

Thanks!

The Crosshair Viii Dark Hero is an excellent MB for Overclocking however the Noctua NH-U12A will be inadequate if your intent is to Overclock. Excellent solution for stock frequency.

I would recommend an AIO water cooler of Corsair H115i or equivalent for any sustained AAA Gaming or Apps that are CPU intensive. Easy to fit, safe and look great in your case. The Noctua may impinge upon your RAM so check this.

List your PC case if not sure an AIO would fit?

Solution
May 7, 2021
Case is a Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 (Tempered Glass Full Tower) which advertises it can accommodate a water cooler. However, deep down I am an air cooler guy and have never done water cooled - I don't want to start that on what I consider a fairly high-end rig. I will be characterizing the Noctua performance and try overclocking in a careful, controlled, step up increments.

Thanks for your recommendation - maybe I'll go water cooled in a future build!