[SOLVED] Cooler fan not spinning (fixed)

Sep 16, 2021
Hey everyone.

I'm wondering if someone can help me with a problem I'm having with my PC cooling, please? I'm new to gaming PC's and know very little about the inner workings of PC's in general.

One of the fans on my cooling system refuses to spin and just slowly turns forward around 10cm then reverses and goes back to where it was before. This occurs every 5 seconds or so. If I open the case and give it a spin by hand, it will continue to spin for around 5 minutes before slowing down and stopping again. The other fan works fine.

I don't know what sort of cooling system I have and can't find the info anywhere (it wasn't listed when I bought my PC). I don't even know if it's an AIO or air cooler. I suspect that it's an AIO because it has 2 fans at the top of the PC case and 2 thick, opaque (looks like a larger version of a braided cable) tubes leading from them to my CPU. I've seen AIOs which look similar so I think it's one of those.

Not sure if it's relevant or not but I noticed that before this problem started, the fan which has now stopped was wobbling quite a bit and had been since I received the PC. It also wobbles while spinning if I start it by hand as described.

Anyone know what the cause of this is and how to fix it? Do I need to replace my cooler? I've been experiencing BSoD restarts due to overheating when trying to play certain games so would very much appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I was only able to find this:..

you bought a system without even knowing what it contained?
all you have listed is a processor and an amount of memory, not much info at all.

most hardware should have a product sticker or possibly product info typed or stamped on.
a lot of cases have something either underneath the chassis or on the rear of the motherboard tray, but it depends.
a graphics card should be easy to tell by looking at it and reading it's logos and/or using GPU-Z.
motherboard can be difficult but most of it's information should at least be listed in the BIOS.
you will need to provide more information like the fan make & model, how it is connected, what you are using to control fan speeds, etc.
if you cannot...
One of the fans on my cooling system refuses to spin
this fan maybe doesn't have a high enough starting RPM % set to fully activate.
or it may be a faulty fan that has malfunctioned.
or could be a malfunctioning motherboard header.

you will need to provide more information like the fan make & model, how it is connected, what you are using to control fan speeds, etc.
experiencing BSoD restarts due to overheating
provide your complete system specs including case make & model,
amount of fans in total and their placement and their orientation.

Sep 16, 2021
this fan maybe doesn't have a high enough starting RPM % set to fully activate.
or it may be a faulty fan that has malfunctioned.
or could be a malfunctioning motherboard header.

provide your complete system specs including case make & model,
amount of fans in total and their placement and their orientation.

That's going to be difficult. I was only able to find this:

Device name DESKTOP-MTA7BA4
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
Device ID 71CC166D-B156-4DF7-A640-26FB870F9799
Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA848
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

in the about section of my system settings and I checked the website I bought it from but it isn't there, anymore. I've looked through all of the paperwork and manuals I got with it but none of them mention the cooler or case. The case has 3 fans in front which could honestly do with a clean (I've ordered an XPower A-2, just waiting for it to arrive) but so do lots of cases so that doesn't narrow it down at all. Is there another way I can find this info in order to share it? As I said, I'm basically a total noob. The plan was to buy a pre-built and gradually learn about building computers as I upgrade it over time when parts become obsolete.

Information I can glean from my papers are that the motherboard is a ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING or Asus TUFGAMING Z490-PLUS (Are they the same? I have booklets for both), I have an Intel Solid State Drive and a Corsaire HX 1200 power supply. I don't see any more information here.

Last edited:
I was only able to find this:..

all you have listed is a processor and an amount of memory, not much info at all.

most hardware should have a product sticker or possibly product info typed or stamped on.
a lot of cases have something either underneath the chassis or on the rear of the motherboard tray, but it depends.
a graphics card should be easy to tell by looking at it and reading it's logos and/or using GPU-Z.
motherboard can be difficult but most of it's information should at least be listed in the BIOS.
if you cannot tell what fans are being used you should at least figure how they are connected;
directly to motherboard, to a fan hub, to a splitter, etc...
and what is being used to control their speeds.

Solution
Sep 16, 2021

if you cannot tell what fans are being used you should at least figure how they are connected;

I edited my reply with a little more info.
I was more interested in the graphics cards and CPU, tbh. It has 2 Nvidia RTX-2080 TI's btw. I got too overwhelmed with trying to learn about all of the components in PCs which was when I had the idea to buy a pre-built and go from there. Maybe that wasn't the best idea but it seemed sound to me at the time. Oh, just found out what case I have! I noticed it said "Designed By Cooler Master" on it and this one is identical so I think it's a Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh.

Sep 16, 2021

Just had a look and it looks like it plugs directly into the motherboard, there are some wires coming down from the fans, passing over the CPU block and plugged into a connection lower down and to the left of the CPU.

Sep 16, 2021

Whoah! I was looking around, trying to see which cables lead where, jiggled a few wires and the fan sprang to life! Must have been a connection problem. Sorry for making such a pigs ear of this thread. I don't have a clue what I'm doing with PC hardware. I really have a lot to learn about the subject. Thanks for the replies. I'll upvote your replies because although I was unable to provide enough info for you to answer the question, they literally lead me to it being fixed