Question cooler for an i7-8700k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, can someone recommend a good air fan/cooler for the i7-8700k? One that isn't too expensive, doesn't interfere with memory and isn't too difficult to install?

checkout this video, it shows the Noctua NH-D15s and it does cover up one memory slot.

If you go to Noctua's website (noctua.at) you can check any Noctua cooler with just about any motherboard under the compatibility tab.

Pcpartpicker will usually highlight potential issues, but not with the precision of the Noctua site.

If you said which MB you purchased, I didn't see it.

Last edited:

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
the mobo I got is the ASROCK Z390 Phamtom Gaming 4. Noctua's site said there are no issues. but I think that means the memory can be in the slot and the HSF can be on the CPU at the same time. but you can't take out one or two of the memory modules without removing the HSF first. which could be a pain because what if you build your PC, turn it on and you get beep codes. you look up the beep codes and it points to memory. now you have to remove the HSF to take out the memory to troubleshoot. that's a pain. Can you boot up the PC without the HSF just to see if it posts? then turn the PC off and install the HSF?

the mobo I got is the ASROCK Z390 Phamtom Gaming 4. Noctua's site said there are no issues. but I think that means the memory can be in the slot and the HSF can be on the CPU at the same time. but you can't take out one or two of the memory modules without removing the HSF first. which could be a pain because what if you build your PC, turn it on and you get beep codes. you look up the beep codes and it points to memory. now you have to remove the HSF to take out the memory to troubleshoot. that's a pain. Can you boot up the PC without the HSF just to see if it posts? then turn the PC off and install the HSF?

Not such a big deal. Yes, you could run it for some seconds without the fan on there. Noctua's are great. I own one. The Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B (SCMG 5100) is a great cooler too and would work fine for you and save you some money. Wildcard wouldn't have recommended it for you if it wasn't good ;)
Here's what Scythe says about it:

Asymmetric design

Ram modules with large passive heat sinks are no problem for the Mugen 5. Its heatpipes are gently sloped backwards so that the radiator is not centered directly above the baseplate, but slightly offset. This asymmetric design allows unrestricted access to the memory banks.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I saw a picture of the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B (SCMG 5100) on Amazon and one picture shows it doesn't go overtop the memory slots at all leaving me free to take out memory in and out. but there is another picture that shows it does go over top the slots. not sure which one is correct.

I saw a picture of the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B (SCMG 5100) on Amazon and one picture shows it doesn't go overtop the memory slots at all leaving me free to take out memory in and out. but there is another picture that shows it does go over top the slots. not sure which one is correct.

They are both correct. Look and see that the cooler has been turned 180 degrees in the photos. Since your MB has all the memory slots on the same side of the CPU, the cooler will be angled away from the RAM slots and will not be over the first slot.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
ok i'll take another look. if all is good I'll order this one. Do you think the Noctua D15s is the same way? this one can get shipped by may 30 where as the Scythe will get shipped a week later at best.

ok i'll take another look. if all is good I'll order this one. Do you think the Noctua D15s is the same way? this one can get shipped by may 30 where as the Scythe will get shipped a week later at best.

The Noctua D15s is similar in form, so yes, probably. The Noctua is better, but more costly, I assume. I think you already confirmed that the Noctua will fit your case, right?

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
wow, I ordered the D15S late afternoon yesterday and I just got it now which is 11am. I still have to buy the CPU, but I positioned the HSF overtop the socket on the mobo. although i'm not sure what direction to position the HSF, it seems very high off from the memory slots. right now i'm going to use very cheep ass memory which has no fancy heat sync/spreaders so it should be fine. we'll see for sure in a few days.

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Corsair H150i PRO, or NZXT Kraken X72. This both will not interfere with your RAM. My advise is to go with an AIO water cooler, instead of an air cooler.
Consider that you have a case with not more airflow. Noctua NH D 15 is probably the best air cooler on the market, but an AIO water cooler is better on my oppinion, for your goal.
If you want a smaller AIO, go with Corsair H115i RGB Platinum or NZXT Kraken X62.
Just go with an AIO, your 8700k will be happy with it.
And of course a slim better look and a better airflow. You can change the stock fans too, with Noctua fans, or you can buy an AIO cooler with stock Noctua fans ( Asus Ryoujin 360 AIO cooler wich is delivered from the manufacurer with Noctua PRO fans).
I suppose you will want to gaming, since you choose the I7 8700k, not necessarly because the Noctua NH D15 will not cool your CPU, it will, but if you are not affraid about the idea of water leaking in your case, go with an AIO cooler. For me, is a better option.
Plus, the AIOs above are not expensive.
It’s up to you, this is just my oppinion.
Sorry, now I saw that you already ordered the Noctua. Is late now for my advise, but you can still return it and change with an AIO, LOL.

Last edited: