cooler for i5 8600K ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fred Old

Reputable
Mar 4, 2017
I was thinking the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, but I'm worried it won't be enough. First time Gaming build and this is the last component. I originally though of using NZXT Kraken X62, but people said it was overkill.

I have never done any overclocking before but with the 8600K I think I'll try a little OC.
I'd prefer an overkill cooler to one that only just cuts it.

Full build:
CPU: Intel i5-8600K
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB GDDR5X
Storage: Crucial MX500 SSD 250GB SATA + Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" 2TB SATA3
PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular
Case: NZXT H500i USB 3.1 Black
CPU Cooler: ?????

Solution
I honestly can't tell you. At the end of the day, it comes down to the question of how much more you'd be getting out of investing in better cooling. Sorry if I missed this, but what resolution/refresh rate will you be gaming at? The benefits of OC'ing are most strongly felt in high refresh-rate scenarios, but in certain cases, you might actually be GPU-bound.

Here's my breakdown of it:

If you want a very reliable/affordable Air Cooler that can handle a moderate/reasonable OC to the 8600k, then go for the Phanteks unit.

If you want a sleek, powerful-looking cooler that will enable you to push your CPU to its limits, grab the h100i. I would avoid the X62, it's simply not of good value.

Fred Old

Reputable
Mar 4, 2017

Do you think the phanteks ph tc12dx will handle 8600K overclocked? Otherwise I may have to switch to AIOs, such as the Kraken M22, do you think that would be enough? How can I see how much cooling power a cpu needs when overclocked, that way I don't have to keep asking you.

Depends on how much of an OC you plan to do. Generally, the TC will perform very well, as long as you're not pushing a ridiculous OC. This review (https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Phanteks/PH-TC12DX/6.html) tests the 3970X (a 150W TDP chip mind you) OVERCLOCKED .5Ghz, and the thing was still keeping it cool at only 65 C. I know there are a lot of variables that impact that stat (such as ambient temp, voltage etc.), but it's impressive nonetheless.

Fred Old

Reputable
Mar 4, 2017

Do you think I should go with it as opposed to the rather tempting and good looking Corsair Hydro Series H110i ot Kraken x62?

I honestly can't tell you. At the end of the day, it comes down to the question of how much more you'd be getting out of investing in better cooling. Sorry if I missed this, but what resolution/refresh rate will you be gaming at? The benefits of OC'ing are most strongly felt in high refresh-rate scenarios, but in certain cases, you might actually be GPU-bound.

Here's my breakdown of it:

If you want a very reliable/affordable Air Cooler that can handle a moderate/reasonable OC to the 8600k, then go for the Phanteks unit.

If you want a sleek, powerful-looking cooler that will enable you to push your CPU to its limits, grab the h100i. I would avoid the X62, it's simply not of good value.

Solution

Fred Old

Reputable
Mar 4, 2017

OK, can't thank you enough for all the help. Honestly, it's great to have people so willing to inform a noob. Thank you!

Oh and last thing, I swear, any recommendations for 140mm fans?

If that's the case, then I'd go for the Phanteks cooler. I can't say this universally, because it REALLY depends on what games you play (certain games are more intensive, so a strong CPU OC would really help), but you'd have to lower some settings in most titles to sustain that sweet 144hz anyways. This video demonstrates that, even though the 8700k does beat out the 2700X in gaming, the resolution places enough stress on the GPU to make it the "bottleneck" more than anything else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSmpw8jFHoM Regardless of what cooler you get, you'll still enjoy a rather good OC.

Also, no problem, I enjoy giving people help. You may be a self-proclaimed "noob", but only the truly ignorant don't ask questions/for help. Good on you! For 140mm, it really depends on your budget. Sickleflow's are alright, Silent Wings are Great, and Noctua fans are fantastic.

1) Intel recommends max 80degC for sustained usage

2) I recommend using HANDBRAKE to stress all cores as a realistic, real-world worst-case scenario (not Prime95). Use Task Manger to monitor that it's close to 100% usage for at least ten minutes.

Adjust your FAN PROFILE and OVERCLOCK based on that.

3) VOLTAGE affects temperature the most. If you can raise the frequency first do so. Probably the best you can do (with the discusses air cooler from Phanteks) is to raise the frequency for each cores max TURBO as high as it can go but don't go above that.

In other words, get it to all six cores, 4.3GHz without changing voltage if possible and monitor in HANDBRAKE. If temperature is high 70's degC then stay there. Assuming fan is about as loud as you want it too of course.

DELTA temperatures apply. Given the exact same CPU stress and CPU fan speed then a 10degC ambient room temperature increase raises the CPU temp by the same amount (in reality the fans are variable but it's a good point to know if you are at 80degC already and it's not the hottest temperature of the year yet... depending on your fan profile either the temp will go up, or the fans will increase or both).

4) AIO?
I have mixed feeling on these. On one hand you might get to 5GHz or so which could gain you 15% or so performance. On the other hand that may not translate into much real-world benefit depending on game settings, resolution etc (where bottleneck is).

AIO's can have pump noise and other issues too. And if you're going to deal with that you want a good 2-fan solution which adds to the cost. My quick answer is stick with the air cooler and go with an AIO later if you really feel it would benefit you enough.

But... an AIO set to exhaust out the front would also pump out hot air leaving the GPU less heat to deal with, AND you can subtract the cost of two good fans (roughly $20 per). So mixed feeling really.

I'm starting to lean towards the AIO actually but do your research. NOT my area of expertise but I think someone recommended the Kraken X62 or some Corsairs (some have better fan control than others too):

https://www.pccomponentes.com/nzxt-kraken-x62
https://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair-hydro-series-h115i-pro

4) 140mm fans?
Not needed if you end up with the AIO solution, but looking solely at your parts link I saw this:
https://www.pccomponentes.com/thermaltake-riing-14-led-rgb-fan-140mm

For some strange reason the 3-pack was more than 3x the price.

OTHER:
If you get the 2-fan AIO then I recommend you have it exhaust out the FRONT and change top/rear fans to INTAKE. If you have the AIO as exhaust the other fans MUST be intake.

If you go the other way the CPU isn't cooled as well but the GPU gets hotter. So you can experiment a bit. If the GPU is getting hot but the CPU isn't (at reasonable fan speed) then again go with AIO fans as exhaust. If GPU is fine but CPU is overheating (and/or fans noisy) go with AIO fans as intake.

There is a COMPONENT SITE linked above that we have to go by. Noctua was also mentioned by myself and others but this is a WINDOWED case so the color doesn't match.

It appears to be an air cooler discussed above (due to availability and max 165mm height) or liquid coolers. There is no great air cooler comparable to the Noctua NH-D15S that is of black/white or black/black aesthetic, and fits. At least from what I could find.

Fred Old

Reputable
Mar 4, 2017

Thank you so much for all of this! It's really useful.