ludvig.adelroth

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
So I'm thinking about buying the Ryzen 7 3800X when it comes out, given that all seems to be fine with that CPU.

Now the thing is, I currently have a Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi (160W TDP cooler). Will this be able to keep it cool, or maybe so that even a small overclock would be possible? Or could I only run stock with it? I don't really want to spend money on a new cooler :/

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Okay thank you. Since you seem to know some about this new launch, do you know if there will be some X570 boards for around $200? I was thinking about buying one but according to some price leaks they all seem to be $200+? What do you know?
For now I have seen only some projected prices for x570 boards and all exceed 200 bucks by good amount. There will be also 550MBs that are more likely to to have prices comparable to b450 but there are no details.

ludvig.adelroth

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
So I'm thinking about buying the Ryzen 7 3800X when it comes out, given that all seems to be fine with that CPU.

Now the thing is, I currently have a Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi (160W TDP cooler). Will this be able to keep it cool, or maybe so that even a small overclock would be possible? Or could I only run stock with it? I don't really want to spend money on a new cooler :/

Thanks in advance!

ludvig.adelroth

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
A. I believe some motherboards allow XFR to be more aggressive, not downclocking to maintain the 105W TDP.
B. Running high speed memory kits can increase power consumption on Ryzen more than you'd think. I learned this from personal experience.
Is the new architecture similar to the old one such that you'd need a fast memory kit to not cripple performance? Or do we not know yet?

Is the new architecture similar to the old one such that you'd need a fast memory kit to not cripple performance? Or do we not know yet?
Not sure but IMC has been raised to 3200MHZ (2666 in 1st gen and 2933 in 2nd gen) which would signify even more reliance on high speed RAM. They are also purported to be able to run with RAM at 4666MHz although IMC is in the central chip now with only cores and cache being left in "Chiplets". That may interfere with frequency to real speed ratio and increase latency but until someone reverse engineer it (very secretive about that for now) nobody but MB, chipset and BIOS developers would know exactly. Will find out more after July 7th.

ludvig.adelroth

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Not sure but IMC has been raised to 3200MHZ (2666 in 1st gen and 2933 in 2nd gen) which would signify even more reliance on high speed RAM. They are also purported to be able to run with RAM at 4666MHz although IMC is in the central chip now with only cores and cache being left in "Chiplets". That may interfere with frequency to real speed ratio and increase latency but until someone reverse engineer it (very secretive about that for now) nobody but MB, chipset and BIOS developers would know exactly. Will find out more after July 7th.
Okay thank you for your reply. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Okay thank you for your reply. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
I'm pretty much holding my breath to see how much improvement I would get over my 2700x by getting 3700x or 3800x and my 3600MHz RAM. I've been reading all I can get my hands on but most credible leaks seem to be still based on speculation according to known CPU structure.
I also already updated BIOS to supprt 3rd gen and there are some features that do not directly apply to 2nd gen. Many more settings for PBO and some for temperature limits. Something big is cooking.

ludvig.adelroth

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
I'm pretty much holding my breath to see how much improvement I would get over my 2700x by getting 3700x or 3800x and my 3600MHz RAM. I've been reading all I can get my hands on but most credible leaks seem to be still based on speculation according to known CPU structure.
I also already updated BIOS to supprt 3rd gen and there are some features that do not directly apply to 2nd gen. Many more settings for PBO and some for temperature limits. Something big is cooking.
Would there be a big difference in performance between 3200 vs 3600 speed? I have 16 gb of 3200 speed and don't feel like overclocking it more if it isn't necessary.

Would there be a big difference in performance between 3200 vs 3600 speed? I have 16 gb of 3200 speed and don't feel like overclocking it more if it isn't necessary.
My tests show only few % of overall and CPU score improvement with 3600MHz over 3200MHz which is of course imperceptible in real work. 3200MHz looks like real sweet spot performance/$$ wise for now, doubt it would change much.
With 12 or 16 cores, amount of RAM and low latency may be of higher significance than row frequency,

ludvig.adelroth

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
My tests show only few % of overall and CPU score improvement with 3600MHz over 3200MHz which is of course imperceptible in real work. 3200MHz looks like real sweet spot performance/$$ wise for now, doubt it would change much.
Okay thank you. Since you seem to know some about this new launch, do you know if there will be some X570 boards for around $200? I was thinking about buying one but according to some price leaks they all seem to be $200+? What do you know?

For now I have seen only some projected prices for x570 boards and all exceed 200 bucks by good amount. There will be also 550MBs that are more likely to to have prices comparable to b450 but there are no details.

Solution

dphotog

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Was already under the impression that low latency was already a bigger factor on the Ryzens infinity fabric. Zen 3000s have a sweet spot that usually doesn't go past 3733 MHz before a huge drop off in performance. Im hoping to push my 3200 cl 14 sticks to 3733 but according to Dram calculator projections show 3624 while maintaining cl14 so will see if that's the route I go. push cl15 3733 ?

With 12 or 16 cores, amount of RAM and low latency may be of higher significance than row frequency,

ludvig.adelroth

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Well since I'm going with only an 8 core that should be fine I suppose.

Was already under the impression that low latency was already a bigger factor on the Ryzens infinity fabric. Zen 3000s have a sweet spot that usually doesn't go past 3733 MHz before a huge drop off in performance. Im hoping to push my 3200 cl 14 sticks to 3733 but according to Dram calculator projections show 3624 while maintaining cl14 so will see if that's the route I go. push cl15 3733 ?
For some reason Ryzen (at least these ones) don't like odd numbered CL which raises base latency and drives scores down. Take my setup for instance. My RAM's XMP shows CL17 for 3600MHz but DOCP sets it Cl18 for 3600 and Cl16 for 3000 although XMP sets it at CL15 and I can manually set to CL14 at 3000MHz. Even if I set it to odd CLs, it just jumps to first available even number ignoring odd numbers. That might be this BIOS doing it though because I was able to set odd numbers in the past but that lowered memory score. Not even changing T1 - T2 didn't change it.
After all those tests I found out that I can set DOCP to 3000,memory frequency at 3600MHz Cl16 and all works perfectly and stable with no fuss.
I also tried overclocking it but could never get 1 Hz over 3600 without incurring errors.