Cooler for Phenom II 945

Paulo_Quadros

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
Hello everyone.
I have a Phenom II x4 945 and iam looking for buy a new cooler for it.

I'm in doubt between 3 : Gammaxx 200, 300 and Gammaxx Gamaxx 400, but feel free to suggest any others of same price range.
I do not know how many degrees of difference each of them will against the cooler box . I do not intend to overclock , just like a cooler to maintain a temperature better than the cooler box , because with it the processor reached 60 degrees.
I live in Brazil and the prices here are quite high ( the cheapest of the three costs 9 % of my monthly salary ) , so do not want to buy something unnecessary . Thanks to all , a hug!

Solution

Considering your temps at load are fine now, it will be hard to codify the differences into percentages. But even the lesser of those coolers (the 200) is quite an improvement over the stock cooler. And any of them will be much, much quieter.

Paulo_Quadros

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

I mean, how much better? Is the 200 better than cooler box and enough? Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Considering your temps at load are fine now, it will be hard to codify the differences into percentages. But even the lesser of those coolers (the 200) is quite an improvement over the stock cooler. And any of them will be much, much quieter.

Solution
I just want to add that on the Phenom II Denub chips that the temps should be kept under 62°C for CPU temp and under or at 55°C for core temps. These chips do not like to stay stable over this. While they say the Chip is safe up to 70-72°C (this is the point at which damage can and most likely will occur) the cores become unstable around that 62°C cpu/55°C core mark.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Hmmm... never had that happen in all my years of OC'ing Deneb locked and Black Editions.

I've run across it a few times and so haven't others. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/596023-Dolk-s-Guide-to-the-Phenom-II

an excerpt taken from the heat wall part of the link given:

Anyway back on to topic. Why give you all this information? Why create a background instead of saying that NO MATTER WHAT the Phenom II and Athlon II will not increase in speed after reaching 55C on loaded temperatures. Let me repeat that, all Phenom IIs and Athlon IIs will not increase their speed (overclock) and more once the loaded temperature on the cores reaches 55C. The understanding is all explained above, but here is the summation. Due to high amount of energy produced by the CPU, and the special blend of silicon used by AMD, the CPU will not be able to operate any higher than 55C or it will literally start to get into a range of extreme temperatures that could cause the CPU to catch fire.

Now this is just core temps. Catching fire seems to be a bit overkill as many would of had house fires by now when they over heated. I found the temps to be true on a few Phenom II's including my excellent overclocking 965be. Any thing over 55°C for core temps and the CPU becomes unstable along with the CPU temp being just about 62°C at the same time. This seems to run hand and hand for temps.