Cooler for ryzen 5 2600x

Jan 9, 2019
Hey, i was wondering if i need an aftermarket cooler for my ryzen 2600x?

My parts are yet to arrive, but i'll have a maxtrexx 55 case with 6 fans per total and that Spire that comes with the cpu.

I've read about that XFR thingie that amd does and people said you need good cooling for that precision boost to kick in.
Now, i don't have access to amazon, since i live in Romania and shipping fees are huge, but i got alot of ID-Colling and Deepcool coolers out here.
Can i get a recommendation on one of those?
Bear in mind i'm looking at budget coolers. :p

I'm a noob when it comes to pc's, it's my first so in my mind, i thought about getting a 240mm rad AIO and use the push-pull config with my extra fans on the top of the case.

This is the one that appealed to me the most: http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/54/name/FROSTFLOW%20240L

Also, i'm not set on an AIO. I don't care if it's air or liquid(tho', i'd prefer liquid), i just want something that works best with this CPU.

Solution

Supahos means the XFR/PB speed will hit 4.2 on 1 to 2 cores. This is what it's meant to do in it's stock setup. This is a non-overclocked CPU (in the true sense of overclocking)

This is a really useful guide on overclocking modern CPU (manually through the bios which is the best way to do it) :http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3761568/beginners-guide-overclocking-cpu-explicit-testing-guidelines.html

If you get a really good cooler, it's very possible to hit an 'all core' OC on your CPU. But it also depends on the actual chip itself. But in theory you could of course get that speed...
Jan 9, 2019

I get that, most people said it's good enough, but i want to upgrade it nonetheless.

Do you intend to OC the CPU? If not, then the stock cooler is actually very decent, and will allow the 2600x to XFR/PB with no problems. You can even do a moderate all core OC.

You don't necessarily need an aftermarket cooler, unless you want to OC, have RGB, or whatever else the cooler may offer above the Wraith Spire.

Jan 9, 2019

So it will get up to 4.2 with the stock cooler?

Jan 9, 2019

So basically, i'm good to go with the Spire.
But, if i do decide to get that AIO i linked, i guess there will be an improvement, right? Is it any good for this particular CPU or should i look at something else?

No, probably not. That too high for the stock cooler as you need to push 1.37-1.39 vcore to hit that speed, and it overwhelms the stock cooler. the heat output is just too much. 3.8-3.9ghz is doable with all the case fans you have (if you set them up right). Whatever cooler you have and whatever speed you're trying to hit, ideally you need to keep temps below 80c, otherwise XFR/PB dial back.

Yes, and yes.

The AIO will give you better temps, it has the brackets for AM4 Mobo's/CPU's. But for an all core OC the Spire is okay for a moderate OC

Jan 9, 2019
So wait, if i want to get to 4.2 speeds, do i need to manually OC? I've seen somewhere on youtube i think that a guy with a some deepcool AIO got to 4.2 without manually doing it. With that precision boost.
So XFR doesn't go above 4 if i have a good cooler?

Jan 2, 2019
I do own a ryzen 5 2600 cpu with a stock cooler and i get good temps. I am not a hardcore gamer, but i use my pc for at leat 4 hours daily for studying and sometimes gaming

Supahos means the XFR/PB speed will hit 4.2 on 1 to 2 cores. This is what it's meant to do in it's stock setup. This is a non-overclocked CPU (in the true sense of overclocking)

This is a really useful guide on overclocking modern CPU (manually through the bios which is the best way to do it) :http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3761568/beginners-guide-overclocking-cpu-explicit-testing-guidelines.html

If you get a really good cooler, it's very possible to hit an 'all core' OC on your CPU. But it also depends on the actual chip itself. But in theory you could of course get that speed. But learning how to do it right is the most important thing. It's all about getting it stable, otherwise your PC will crash randomly or at load if the OC you set isn't stable.

The quick way to OC a Ryzen, is with Ryzen Master software. Its really handy to use. But it has it's limitations. Thats why for any real OC'ing of a CPU, it's always best to manually do it through the bios. You have more control, and can fine tune the OC settings to ensure stability.

Solution
Jan 9, 2019

Thank you for that clarification. Now i understand. So if you want better speeds, get an aftermarket cooler and do it manually. For now i'll stay with the Spire.

Bang on brother :) When you get your system set up, feel free to PM me. I'm happy to help and give you some simple settings to try and get started.

Happy gaming :)

TRENDING THREADS