[SOLVED] Cooler for Ryzen 5 3600 or 8gb of RAM?

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
I'm building a new computer and i bought 8gb of RAM. I bought only 8 because i know that the performance are good enough most of the time, except when multitasking (photoshop+premiere+chrome etc), now, while looking for a CPU cooler, a guy here told me that the stock cooler for the 3600 is good enough and there's no really a need to get a new one. I read multiple times that people have temperatures problem with this CPU, and by buying a new cooler the temperatures dropped by 10+ degrees C. I'm a little confused now, and i dont know if i should invest those 30/40 euros on a new cooler or 8 additional gbs of RAM. What do you guys recommend? Thank you!

Solution
But why?? i can just but another single stick of the same model
That ‘might’ work. RAM is sold in matched kits for a reason. There is a chance of issues even if you buy the same make and model. You really wanted a 2x8gb kit. Running a single stick will hurt performance as the RAM can only run in single channel mode which is half the bandwidth of dual channel. In gaming for example the difference from 2x8gb to 1x16gb (single) channel can be over 30% with single channel suffering stuttering.
I'm building a new computer and i bought 8gb of RAM. I bought only 8 because i know that the performance are good enough most of the time, except when multitasking (photoshop+premiere+chrome etc), now, while looking for a CPU cooler, a guy here told me that the stock cooler for the 3600 is good enough and there's no really a need to get a new one. I read multiple times that people have temperatures problem with this CPU, and by buying a new cooler the temperatures dropped by 10+ degrees C. I'm a little confused now, and i dont know if i should invest those 30/40 euros on a new cooler or 8 additional gbs of RAM. What do you guys recommend? Thank you!
Get the ram im gonna assume you have a single stick of ram if not great but yes you must be at 16gb of total system ram, about the CPU cooler if you are running it at stock should not be an issue however further down the line you can get a cooler master hyper 212 evo which would be a really good upgrade.

Having 16GB of RAM in dual channel is recommended but now that you already bought 1 8GB stick you will have to mix ram and mixing ram is a hit or miss. You could get 2 sticks of 8GB not from the same RAM Kit to work fine together or you could have instability issues.

If you can return the 8GB and get a 2x8GB RAM Kit it would be best.

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
Get the ram

8gb might be enough for now but just barely, in a few years time your performance will decrease quite sharply...

Also there is nothing wrong with the stock cooler, its a little louder and arguably not as effective as one of those larger, more expensive coolers but it will work... you shouldnt need to worry about thermal throttling since it would be preferable to the time delay of caching when you run out of ram.

Also having 2 sticks of ram have a marked imporvement on system performance - something to do with their being 2 paths for the data.

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
Get the ram

8gb might be enough for now but just barely, in a few years time your performance will decrease quite sharply...

Also there is nothing wrong with the stock cooler, its a little louder and arguably not as effective as one of those larger, more expensive coolers but it will work... you shouldnt need to worry about thermal throttling since it would be preferable to the time delay of caching when you run out of ram.

Also having 2 sticks of ram have a marked imporvement on system performance - something to do with their being 2 paths for the data.

I bought a single stick for this reason, i planned to upgrade it to 16gb when the time required it, but i guess for now 8gb is good enough isnt it? And i dont do any multitasking almost at all, i use matlab with onenote and maybe microsoft edge at the same time and thats pretty much it, nothing exaggerated, isnt it better to get a cooler now and the RAM when its needed later?

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
Having 16GB of RAM in dual channel is recommended but now that you already bought 1 8GB stick you will have to mix ram and mixing ram is a hit or miss. You could get 2 sticks of 8GB not from the same RAM Kit to work fine together or you could have instability issues.

If you can return the 8GB and get a 2x8GB RAM Kit it would be best.

I bought a single stick for this reason, i planned to upgrade it to 16gb when the time required it, but i guess for now 8gb is good enough isnt it? And i dont do any multitasking almost at all, i use matlab with onenote and maybe microsoft edge at the same time and thats pretty much it, nothing exaggerated, isnt it better to get a cooler now and the RAM when its needed later?
no in my opinion ram would be more benefitial your system will be much smoother and web browser do consume alot of ram, again as i said if you are at stock it shouldnt be an issue.

That ‘might’ work. RAM is sold in matched kits for a reason. There is a chance of issues even if you buy the same make and model. You really wanted a 2x8gb kit. Running a single stick will hurt performance as the RAM can only run in single channel mode which is half the bandwidth of dual channel. In gaming for example the difference from 2x8gb to 1x16gb (single) channel can be over 30% with single channel suffering stuttering.

Reactions: Andrea Burgio
Solution

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015

Yeah i returned it! Thank you so much you saved me, because i even bought a 3000mhz stick for 40€ and i found 2x8gb 3600mhz for 70€ same brand, corsair lpx, thank you!

TRENDING THREADS