[SOLVED] cooler for ryzen 5 3600?

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
So i got a new system: 2060,3600,16gb..
And stock cooler(wraith)cant handle any game, even though i put it into power saving mode in which CPU holds on 2.19 Ghz when its under load it goes up and the cooler cant cool it..
So i had in my last pc Freezer 13-> now in this system.Just now played PUBG and the CPU was at max with 4200MHz and in idk 10 mins temps started going up and up almost to 90C and then i died lul.
So even freezer 13 can't cool it under load?? What cooler can? i need help
Thanks in advance

Solution
Ryzens are dynamic. They don't have a set boost the way Intel does, where it's all or nothing. They'll boost according to power and temp, upto it's own limits.

With the Wraith, you weren't hitting max boost. The temps were high enough, it didn't allow it. Threw on the Arctic, which has more temp headroom and capacity, and you got max boost, but still the same (ish) temps. That's how Ryzen works. It doesn't care what you think the temp should be, it only cares about what it thinks the temps should be, and boost accordingly.

It's only when that range is saturated, max boost and max power limit, that's when a larger capacity / more efficient cooler has the ability to drop the temps.

That normally falls in the better...
I would expect a freezer 13 to cool it fine. Did you use thermal paste? What case do you have?

Currently im using a Freezer 34 and the fan doesnt even spin in most games and the 3600 sits at under 50c. Demanding games will make the fan spin slowly and sent temps into the 60s. Very good.

cheaper the better,rather not mess with water
my friend uses SCYTHE MUGEN 5 REV.B (http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/mugen-5-revb.html ) on his 3600x.Acording to him the temps never passed 64C while doing benchamarks.In games even 60C is rare,but that is just his situation.The hasnt been overclocked or underclocked,or in other words,its stock.The price is around 40-50$
Also here is what i use for my i7 3770:https://raidmax.com/product_d.php?lang=en&tb=1&id=785
I would say a really good AIO for 60$ pricepoint.Similar temp situation as my friend's cooler.

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
I would expect a freezer 13 to cool it fine. Did you use thermal paste? What case do you have?

Currently im using a Freezer 34 and the fan doesnt even spin in most games and the 3600 sits at under 50c. Demanding games will make the fan spin slowly and sent temps into the 60s. Very good.
bro idk i just finally want to use my pc .. ofc i used paste, mx-4 at that. case:antec nx100.
I think its a problem that its overclocking out of the box, if it was at 3.6 GHz i probs wouldnt have that problem(i asked on the forumabout how to set clock speed to 3.6)
like how tf are u getting those temps.... aaaah what it your GHz speed, does it go to 4.2 or?

Out of the box the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU will run at up to 4.2ghz when only 1 core is stressed, and closer to 3.9/4ghz when many cores are stressed. This is normal turbo behavior. If you only want the CPU to run at 3.6ghz this is achieved by disabling turbo in bios, but this does reduce performance.

The Ryzen 5 3600 is a rather efficient CPU and does not chuck out a lot of heat. Your results seem abnormal.

My CPU is locked to 4.2ghz all core at 1.2v, though this cooler handles a 4.4ghz all core overclock decently, though the fan is audible which is why I opt for 4.2ghz and locked voltage. The Freezer 34 is a fair bit better than the Freezer 13, but even still your CPU should not reach 90c at stock operation.

Can you show a picture of your case and cooler orientation?
upload to www.imgbb.com and post link here.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
A good cooler for that CPU is the stock one wraith prism but if you plan to run frequency a bit higher and over volt then grab a Hyper 212 for like 30 bucks and you should be good to go. Also make sure you have proper cooling in the case and what not. :sneaky:

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
Out of the box the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU will run at up to 4.2ghz when only 1 core is stressed, and closer to 3.9/4ghz when many cores are stressed. This is normal turbo behavior. If you only want the CPU to run at 3.6ghz this is achieved by disabling turbo in bios, but this does reduce performance.

The Ryzen 5 3600 is a rather efficient CPU and does not chuck out a lot of heat. Your results seem abnormal.

My CPU is locked to 4.2ghz all core at 1.2v, though this cooler handles a 4.4ghz all core overclock decently, though the fan is audible which is why I opt for 4.2ghz and locked voltage. The Freezer 34 is a fair bit better than the Freezer 13, but even still your CPU should not reach 90c at stock operation.

here
https://ibb.co/fpdwbQX

intake has 2 fingers of space so it should be ok, the fan goes to max speed

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
A good cooler for that CPU is the stock one wraith prism but if you plan to run frequency a bit higher and over volt then grab a Hyper 212 for like 30 bucks and you should be good to go. Also make sure you have proper cooling in the case and what not. :sneaky:
stock couldnt hold <Mod Edit>, while working instant over 80C then going up and up

Last edited by a moderator:

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014

can bios update make a difference? i have one available

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens are dynamic. They don't have a set boost the way Intel does, where it's all or nothing. They'll boost according to power and temp, upto it's own limits.

With the Wraith, you weren't hitting max boost. The temps were high enough, it didn't allow it. Threw on the Arctic, which has more temp headroom and capacity, and you got max boost, but still the same (ish) temps. That's how Ryzen works. It doesn't care what you think the temp should be, it only cares about what it thinks the temps should be, and boost accordingly.

It's only when that range is saturated, max boost and max power limit, that's when a larger capacity / more efficient cooler has the ability to drop the temps.

That normally falls in the better mid-range coolers, Noctua NH-U12S or better, Cryorig H5 or better, beQuiet Darkrock TF, Darkrock 3 or 4 or better, Scythe Fuma/Mugen 5 Rev.B etc.

All of those are 160w or better coolers. With the more budget 140w coolers (like the Arctic or CM Hyper212 etc) they are still good, but don't have the capacity/efficiency to really make much of a dent in temps. Some, but not all that great.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf
Solution

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014

That normally falls in the better mid-range coolers, Noctua NH-U12S or better, Cryorig H5 or better, beQuiet Darkrock TF, Darkrock 3 or 4 or better, Scythe Fuma/Mugen 5 Rev.B etc.

All of those are 160w or better coolers. With the more budget 140w coolers (like the Arctic or CM Hyper212 etc) they are still good, but don't have the capacity/efficiency to really make much of a dent in temps. Some, but not all that great.
so am i able to just go use my pc without looking at temps? it is smart enough to not kill itself?
p.s thanks for great explanation

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The amd mount (for all intents and purposes) seems like an afterthought, it's not anything like the Intel mount.

I have a really, really hard time believing a 4 heatpipe cooler, backed by a single 92mm fan is the 200w that Arctic claims the Freezer 13 is. Especially when put up against another Arctic cooler like the e-sports duo that also claims 200w and comes with twin 120mm fans.

I still think it should be sufficient to cool the 3600 at stock, don't you? Maybe not in that orientation, unfortunately.

Just ran some test with my Arctic Freezer 34 Esports One and R5 3600:

R5 3600 auto clock speed auto voltage:
about 70c in prime 95.
R5 3600 locked 4.2ghz all core 1.2v
about 65c in prime 95

The base Freezer 34 which appears to have a different fan and no powder coating on the heat sync would be ample for a stock 3600.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
stock couldnt hold <Mod Edit>, while working instant over 80C then going up and up
If your on a budget but want the best cooling for your overvolting or higher frequency clocking grab the Hyper 212 like I said. I think they still sell the OG one. If you want a Hyper 212 Black it will cost you more. Also you can mount two fant one exhaust and one intake on both sides. Very good cooler it cooled my old 4930k at 4.5Ghz 30's c idle and 60's and 70's c on full load and gaming. Also I dont run stress tests their pointless and false and synthetic and just abuse your CPU and what not.