Cooler installation problems on DQ6

ZafaZ

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Hi,

I have a friend that has a gigabyte DQ6 motherboard, and this has a heat sink on the back of it which stops adding the backplate of aftermarket cpu coolers?

Has anyone used this motherbaord or knows of any coolers that can be attached to it without removing this heatsink?

Thanks

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Hi,

I have a friend that has a gigabyte DQ6 motherboard, and this has a heat sink on the back of it which stops adding the backplate of aftermarket cpu coolers?

Has anyone used this motherbaord or knows of any coolers that can be attached to it without removing this heatsink?

Thanks

This is weird ... I was just researching this question. Seems most of the popular after market coolers use/need backplates, which screw up the passive heatsinks on the back of the DQ6 board.

I found a thread in another forum that mentioned good success with this one: The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro . This uses push pins and not mounting brackets. Don't have 1st hand knowledge, but it's a possible solution - and I've heard it's a decent cooler!

Hope this helps.

Gigabit256

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
I mounted a Zalman CNPS9500 to this mobo using four custom plastic washers that I cut from a sheet of lexan. I cut out four small squares of the stuff, then drilled a hole in each one just a tiny bit bigger than bolts that came with the Zalman for screwing through into the backplate. I then popped the nuts out of the Zalman backplate, and mounted the topside hardware using just the bolts, nuts, and my custom washer to protect the board from the nuts. I needed to use a small pair of pliers to hold onto the nuts to keep them from turning while tightening the bolts. Here's a really bad picture showing what I did. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Gigabit256/Computer/MVC-014F.jpg

♦Seems to work great. It's been hanging on tight like that in a mini tower case for several months now, and doesn't seem to be putting any undue strain on the board either.

ZafaZ

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Hi,

Thanks Jake Barnes for your response, looking into that cooler you mentioned now.

In general, how would that cooler (The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro) compare to say, a Zalman 9700LED/9500, Asus Silent Knight, Thermaltake Big Typhoon

CPU to be overclocked is a C2D 6400, ram is 2x1GB A-DATA 667, He is wanted at least 2.6Ghz, but anything more is good, on stock voltage (maybe a little bump).

He has overclocked it before and on 315FSB (2.5Ghz) with the stock HSF, his temps were 80-82 degrees C, using both TAT and core temp .95 to measure. This was at 100% load on both cores using TAT.

These seem a little high even on stock.

At stock settings (266FSB) his temps are around 71 degrees C.

Idle is 50 degrees C.

Can anyone help me out regarding those temps as well.

Thanks Heaps

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
In general, how would that cooler (The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro) compare to say, a Zalman 9700LED/9500, Asus Silent Knight, Thermaltake Big Typhoon ...

As I mentioned, I have just been researching that myself, so I couldn't answer a comparative. I've used none, myself. But the reviews on the AC Freezer 7 Pro look positive, but I can't say how they compare to other coolers.

Google the AC Freezer 7 Pro and read up on reviews.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I mounted a Zalman CNPS9500 to this mobo using four custom plastic washers that I cut from a sheet of lexan. I cut out four small squares of the stuff, then drilled a hole in each one just a tiny bit bigger than bolts that came with the Zalman for screwing through into the backplate. I then popped the nuts out of the Zalman backplate, and mounted the topside hardware using just the bolts, nuts, and my custom washer to protect the board from the nuts. I needed to use a small pair of pliers to hold onto the nuts to keep them from turning while tightening the bolts. Here's a really bad picture showing what I did. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Gigabit256/Computer/MVC-014F.jpg

♦Seems to work great. It's been hanging on tight like that in a mini tower case for several months now, and doesn't seem to be putting any undue strain on the board either.

That's an interesting and creative solution to the problem - it's one that the reviewer here at TGP didn't know or try.

What, again, did you use to construct those "washers" to replace the support/backing plates?

Gigabit256

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007

That's an interesting and creative solution to the problem - it's one that the reviewer here at TGP didn't know or try.

What, again, did you use to construct those "washers" to replace the support/backing plates?Transparent "Lexan" plastic windowpane material.

You could also just cut off the corners of the Zalman backplate that have the nuts in them, and just use those sans the rest of the plate. I didn't go that route though because I wanted to retain some possibility of returning the Zalman if I couldn't make it fit. hehe I've heard of others doing that though with great success.

ZafaZ

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Hi,

Just to give you all an update,

My friend got the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and his CPU is now clocked at 2.66Ghz (8x333) stock Voltage, his temps are now about 34 Degress Celcius idle and 59 Degress 100%load (TAT both cores).

It cliped on the motherboard with no problems even though it had that heat sink on the back.

Very happy with the results