News Cooler Master’s Elite 500 ODD: An Affordable Optical Drive Option

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why on earth would anyone want a glass side panel? Glass is a horrible thermal or aural filter / insulator. It adds excess weight. And when tempered glass breaks it "explodes" into thousand of minuscule pieces instead of shattering. And cost far more a piece of steel or aluminum. Plus it just makes the unit look crappy.

slurmsmckenzie

Commendable
Apr 12, 2021
Generally, for the best airflow possible, you’re better off getting a case with a mesh front panel like the Phanteks P360A, or at least one with better ventilation than what's here.

Given that this review focuses on the fact that the case has an ODD bay, seems odd to compare it to a case which doesn't. I would like a decent (non-budget) ATX case with a mesh front, sure, but I also want an ODD.... so there are almost no options that I know of (would love to hear of any I've missed). I currently have an R6 which I like a lot but it could do with a bit more airflow. I think Fractal do one with a mesh front and ODD slot but it is pretty small and definitely at the budget end of the scale.
But if you're specifically in need of a budget case that has an optical drive bay, you're putting together a budget or mid-range system and you don't have a lot of building experience, the Cooler Master Elite 500 ODD is a decent option.

That's fine, but somehow I want to point out that there isn't much in the way of non-budget options that have ODDs either. It seems to be mostly budget cases that have them these days, i.e. cases that have limited internal storage bays etc. (I have 3x3.5" drives so lots of options are out for that reason). The above makes it sound like someone is actively choosing (for whatever reason) a budget case with an ODD, but actually there may not be a choice as such if they need a case with an ODD slot.

I do get that most people don't want or care about an ODD or even HDDs and just want a case that can cram in as much radiator real-estate as possible, indeed that seems to be what most case manufacturers aim to cater for these days. Just a shame that there aren't as many options with external ODD bays these days - it is always nice to have options.

I do get that most people don't want or care about an ODD or even HDDs

You know it's funny how many people I build PCs for that say they don't need optical drives that tell me the end up missing them. I use mine regularly still. I'm using a Phantek Enthoo Pro M as it had a Glass side panel, clears NH-D15, and had space for an Optical drive.

This case just needs mesh on the front. That plastic grille in the front looks really restrictive. I am a fan of the front facing, USB and audio ports (and power button). Putting them on the front or side can be problematic sometimes depending on PC location.

slurmsmckenzie

Commendable
Apr 12, 2021
I'm using a Phantek Enthoo Pro M as it had a Glass side panel, clears NH-D15, and had space for an Optical drive.
Interesting, I hadn't noticed that case somehow - looks nice and plenty of HDD slots too. How is the airflow? Saw a review that said it was fine whilst not being an "airflow monster".

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that case somehow - looks nice and plenty of HDD slots too. How is the airflow? Saw a review that said it was fine whilst not being an "airflow monster".

Just noticed this, as I'm not on here much. It's not a currently produced case, so it's a little harder to find now. However, air flow is great I think. It's a mesh front and the entire top is mesh. I have 2 140mm fans on the front, 2 140mm fans mounted on the top, 1 140mm fan on the rear. I've also got an 80mm fan on the opposite side of the hard drive cage to help flow air through the HDs. The PSU shroud is perforated as well so it will flow air too.

IIRC in spots where I have 2 140mm fans, you can put 3 120mms I think as well. I don't know what you would do to improve air flow, it's already got quite a bit of mesh (I have removed all the filters).