News Cooler Master’s Vertical GPU Mount Is More Expensive Than Its Cases

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
This is likely a "case" of economies of scale. They are not likely to sell many of these, at least not at first, and thus all the engineering, tooling and other one off costs are spread over a smaller number of sales. If it costs you $100,000 of engineering, $50,000 in tooling, and $10 in materials and labor, if you sell 1,000 of them, the minimum price has to be $160, but if you sell 1 million of them then the minimum price can be $10.15. That is just to break even.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
They probably figure if people are gullible enough to blow $800-$2000 on a GPU they will be happy to be fleeced for another c-note to show their buddies that they have a cool mount for it.

DingusDog

Prominent
Apr 12, 2022
I guess you aren't paying attention people easily blow $100+ on RGB accessories (fans, strimers etc.)

dutty handz

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Is it only me who noticed the vertical GPU mount picture is 100% fabricated and wrong, as no GPU, when slotted vertically, would have it's fans facing the motherboard ; the fans should be facing away from the viewing angle we have (and thus facing the side panel of a case)

Is it only me who noticed the vertical GPU mount picture is 100% fabricated and wrong, as no GPU, when slotted vertically, would have it's fans facing the motherboard ; the fans should be facing away from the viewing angle we have (and thus facing the side panel of a case)
At first glace that does indeed seem wrong, however the following paragraph under the picture explains it:
"Within the case, the mount can move up to 65mm in length if needed to ensure video output access is not blocked. Similarly, the mount can also move 30mm from side to side for this reason - and accommodate more exotic graphics cards with flow-through cooler designs."
The card in that picture is a reference 3080Ti/3090Ti, which has a fan on the rear of the card.