Cooler master 212 EVO and overclocking temps

anam3

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hello,
I was wondering if around 70 C is normal for my CPU under stress. I have it currently overclocked 4.4 Ghz. I'm using an Intel i7 2600K and a Cooler Master 212 EVO as my cooler. Thanks

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I agree with imtiax, these seem a little high. Did you double check that there is no "wiggle" on the cpu cooler? This could be a sign that you may need to unistall and reinstall it. How is the airflow in the remainder of your case?

Eh, not really. It could add a couple of degrees, but you shouldn't hit 70, especially since your airflow should be fine with the 922. Are you testing with Prime95 or with a game? If it's Prime95, the GPU should be idle and have no effect at all on the CPU temps. Try it if you haven't.
Two things matter with heatsinks: tightness and TC application. The sink should be screwed on quite tightly, so it can't move at all, and the TC should be applied such that the base is covered with a layer as thin as possible. Use their final method.

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Buy another fan for a push pull config.

+1

Also, just a thought, did you start by undervolting your cpu when you overclocked? The process to do this is to leave stock clocks, but lower the voltage by small increments until the system becomes unstable. Then you would raise it a small amount and start your overclock process from there like you normally would. the i5 2500k and i7 2600k have some room to undervolt in my experience, which can result in lower temps with the final overclock.

However, it's possible if you did your overclock slowly and methodically, you simply have a chip that runs a little hotter. Double check your cpu cooler is connected properly and be sure you used an appropriate amount of thermal paste (a side note, if you used arctic silver 5, your temps will probably get slightly better after time due to this particular pastes long burn in time), add another fan to the back of your 212 EVO for push pull as AMuffin mentioned.

anam3

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I just reapplied thermal paste (Artic Silver 5) using the method above and i'm still getting around 60-70C with a stress test using prime95 :\. Also, when I booted my comp, it says cpu fan error but all my fans are working. I checked my bios and it seems my CPU fan and Chasis fan 2 are both below the fan speed low limit. CPU fan is around 500 rpm and chasis fan 2 is going around 450 rpm

anam3

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

Thanks for the fast reply. Yea, I'm hoping that it just takes time for the artic silver to kick in and drop the temperature 10-15 C.

anam3

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

From the pics in the article, is the heatsink supposed to look like that after you've taken it off the cpu? That seems like a very thin layer and now I'm starting to think that I'm applying too much thermal paste.

dupras

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
i know this is a late post compared to when you orginally posted the questions....any changes in the temps....I was having the similar issues and noticed your RPM's on your CPU fan....600RPM is almost 1/4 of the max it can run....are you using a program to manage your fan speeds? or just in your bios.....a fan running at ~2000rpm will drop your temps at least 5-10 degress during your stress test