News Cooler Master Also Builds Thermo-Electric Cooler for Intel's High-TDP Chips

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
We'll provide a review once product samples are made available to the hardware community testers.
I would love to see a estimated power bill increase due to the extra power. I know that is relative to each community since power prices fluctuate but it would still be beneficial.

At $350, this thing must really perform for overclockers.

You'll probably also need an extremely large room for all that heat dissipation, or a mini split system where that room has it's own cooler.

Imagine paying $350 plus electricity costs for a power-hungry cooler just to overclock an inefficient mid-range processor up near the stock performance of a competing processor lineup. : 3

Enthusiast products like these are kind of in an awkward position now that AMD's latest processors tend to be all-around faster than Intel's while generating substantially less heat. Maybe Rocket Lake will bring Intel back into the lead and benefit from something like this though. But if this cooler isn't compatible with the socket Intel will be moving to a year or so from now, that doesn't seem like a particularly good investment.

And while these peltier liquid coolers might be able to move heat away from the processor die more effectively, that heat is still going into the loop's water, combined with significantly more heat being produced by the cooler itself. So, the radiator is effectively going to be tasked with dissipating around twice as much heat. I would expect the liquid temperatures to get quite high before stabilizing, and the fans to get relatively audible trying to get rid of all that heat. And of course, that additional heat is in turn getting pumped out of the radiator and into one's room.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/everyday-life/electricity-cost

If you're were folding and running full tilt 24-7, would be about $200 a year where I live.
A simple rule of thumb is that at the average cost of electricity in the US (currently around 13 cents per kwh), each watt will cost a little over a dollar a year (around $1.10 or so) if left running 24/7. So, something drawing 200 watts constantly could draw around $220 a year at that rate, and potentially significantly more in some regions with high electricity costs.

I don't suspect the cooler will be drawing 200 watts all the time in the vast majority of usage scenarios though, and I wouldn't be surprised if the peltier device gets shut off entirely at idle to avoid reaching below-ambient temperatures that could potentially cause condensation. But if the CPU were under load for several hours a day, I could see the cooler drawing around $50 worth of electricity over the course of a year, again at the the average cost of electricity in the US. Combined with the price of the unit, and its questionable compatibility with future hardware, that still seems rather expensive though. And of course, the additional heat getting generated by the cooler could result in increased air conditioning costs and/or uncomfortable room temperatures in the summer.

Reactions: Soaptrail

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The benefit for AIOs is that they typically have interchangeable brackets for different socket mounts, so I could easily see where the support of other sockets might be adopted in coming iterations.

Ex: originally, it was quite difficult to find AIOs which had Threadripper support, now most of them have adapters for TR4/TRX4

Enthusiast products like these are kind of in an awkward position now that AMD's latest processors tend to be all-around faster than Intel's while generating substantially less heat.
Imagine someone hacks the bios of an AMD board and allows this thing to run on a ryzen 3 to allow it to run all cores at full speed... or at least fuller speed, whatever it can handle.

This thing is to test CPUs under liquid nitrogen cooling conditions without having the hassle of actually having to use liquid nitrogen.
It's going to be great for testers but have near zero influence on normal people.

TRENDING THREADS