Question Cooler Master AOI noisy

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
When I upgraded my system to the 2600X, I went with a Cooler Master ML 120L RGB cooler. The 120 has been more than sufficient as I don't overclock. I first was a bit disappointed as I became aware of the the noise of the pump running, and could hear it ramp up under load. I understand this is typical.
However, it has recently been making a new sound, sort of a steady buzzing or clicking sound. Sort of what an old electric clock might make.
Should I be concerned about possible pump failure? It is less than a year old - should I contact Cooler Master? How are they about handling warranty problems?

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
It is mounted with the heat sink/pump oriented with the logo right side up reading left to right. The radiator is mounted at the back exhaust with the hoses to the bottom - it's the only it would fit anyway.
I've watched Steve's video from Gamer's Nexus and it is exactly the way he recommended to keep the pump from running dry. I know it's not getting air into the pump as that is not the sound I am hearing.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Pump speed is set to 100%(recommended) in bios? You shouldn't be hearing it 'revving up', or at all really, if this was the case.

Post an image of the interior of the PC through either postimages.org or imgur.com.

Have you tried to 'shake' the air out? To do this:
-With the PC off, remove the screws securing the radiator to the chassis.
-Turn the PC on.
-While it is running, move the radiator around to try and 'guide' the air pockets into it. It should be held higher than the pump.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Agreed that pump noise should be nearly inaudible and most people say 'pump noise' when it is actually fan noise from the AIO in question.

Easy way to determine - disconnect the radiator fan so it stops and see if the noise persists.

Nearly all liquid cooling pumps (custom or AIO) should be nearly silent, even at 100% until you get very close to them.

I have a D5 pump operating within 2 feet of me right now and a Corsiar 360 AIO cooler I am testing also within 2 feet- both running at 100%. Neither can be heard over the sounds of case fans which are running at 50%. In fact, my office ceiling fan is making the most noise over anything else.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
They have asked me to provide a video of the issue. I also need to find the ser# which should be on the side of the radiator. I am going to go into the bios to check pump speed. It may be the fan I hear changing speed. In any case, although a pain, I'm going to switch over to the stock cooler. That way I can be absolutely sure it's the pump.

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I feel like a total idiot! I pulled the case open and poked around a bit - a tiny bit of debris had fallen through the grill of the exhaust fan mounted directly above the pump, and was riding on the fan. This fan is mounted just a few inches above the pump. To my ears, I thought it was the pump. Debris removed, it is now silent.

Just a note on what I found in the BIOS - the AIO pump is indeed running at a steady speed of 2250 RPM. By playing with the fan control, I discovered that it was actually the radiator fan I was hearing "ramping up". Switching back and forth between modes such as normal, silent, turbo and 100% in the fan control made me realize that was it was. I guess I just haven't gotten used to the fact that the AIO fan is a bit more louder than the one provided with the 212 EVO I once had. I can live with it now!

I apologize for wasting everybody's time but I do thank you for your input.

Now to apologize to CM.....

By the way, removing the fan, it turned out to be a dead insect lodged in it.... who would have thought?:eek:

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I feel like a total idiot! I pulled the case open and poked around a bit - a tiny bit of debris had fallen through the grill of the exhaust fan mounted directly above the pump, and was riding on the fan. This fan is mounted just a few inches above the pump. To my ears, I thought it was the pump. Debris removed, it is now silent.

Just a note on what I found in the BIOS - the AIO pump is indeed running at a steady speed of 2250 RPM. By playing with the fan control, I discovered that it was actually the radiator fan I was hearing "ramping up". Switching back and forth between modes such as normal, silent, turbo and 100% in the fan control made me realize that was it was. I guess I just haven't gotten used to the fact that the AIO fan is a bit more louder than the one provided with the 212 EVO I once had. I can live with it now!

I apologize for wasting everybody's time but I do thank you for your input.

Now to apologize to CM.....

By the way, removing the fan, it turned out to be a dead insect lodged in it.... who would have thought?:eek:
:mdr:
Just brush it off/shrug your shoulders... random happens.
I wonder if that debris came from the bug, LOL!