[SOLVED] cooler master argb small controller issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys,

i ave just purchased thsi controller but i have since bought an extra fan and the cpu has a argb lights so altogether i have 5 fans i would like to use but the controller only has 3 wires, question is, is it safe to get the 1-5 aRGB splitter from CoolerMaster on the small controller? or would it be too much? im guessing it should be fine considering cooler master is selling it but i would liek to have your opinion on thsi please.

when i had another look on what i will get, there is 1 x 1 y splitter, that would let me have 2 fans in 1 slot, should i get another 1 x 1 y splitter to make it to 5 and dont bother getting the 1-5 aRGB splitter from CoolerMaster on the small controller?

many thanks

Solution
Unfortunately the web pages for that Controller do not give a spec for its maximum load. BUT as a general rule, a single ARGB header on a mobo (and presumably the port of this Controller) CAN handle five lighting devices with no problem. So go ahead with your plan. It makes no real difference whether you use two 2-from-1 Splitters on two otputs, or one 5-from-1 Splitter on one of them.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unfortunately the web pages for that Controller do not give a spec for its maximum load. BUT as a general rule, a single ARGB header on a mobo (and presumably the port of this Controller) CAN handle five lighting devices with no problem. So go ahead with your plan. It makes no real difference whether you use two 2-from-1 Splitters on two otputs, or one 5-from-1 Splitter on one of them.

Reactions: froggy8
Solution

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
yeah, i tried searching the output power for it too but could not find anything.

thank you, i almsot forgot, i also want 2 argb strips too to add in my pc. im guessing that will fine also wont it?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, that is a 3-pin ARGB Splitter with 5 outputs that uses what is now "standard" for connectors. The output cable that comes with the Small Controller plugs into its output port and provides three males of this type of connector for outputs.

Thanks for Best Solution.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No info on that at all in the instructions. Of course the idea is that you can use the temperature measured to alter the colour of the lights accordingly. It is not clear whether you have any control over what temperatures trigger what colours. One would hope that the MasterPlus+ software contains tools for that, and maybe a display of the actual temp. If so, then YOU have to decide what component you want to monitor this way (if any). And you would have to decide what temps are cool, OK, quite warm, Too Hot!, etc.

I'll also warn you that positioning a sensor to make reliable contact with something and keeping it well connected thermally is not always easy.

Bottom line, this is an interesting option feature, not sure whether it is actually useful. It is NOT REQUIRED that you use it.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
No info on that at all in the instructions. Of course the idea is that you can use the temperature measured to alter the colour of the lights accordingly. It is not clear whether you have any control over what temperatures trigger what colours. One would hope that the MasterPlus+ software contains tools for that, and maybe a display of the actual temp. If so, then YOU have to decide what component you want to monitor this way (if any). And you would have to decide what temps are cool, OK, quite warm, Too Hot!, etc.

I'll also warn you that positioning a sensor to make reliable contact with something and keeping it well connected thermally is not always easy.

Bottom line, this is an interesting option feature, not sure whether it is actually useful. It is NOT REQUIRED that you use it.
many thanks again for your help
il donload the masterplus and see whats on that
i have only got it today and connected only my cpu cooler for now, my halo are coming tomorrow morning so will connect all to the argb controller.

the cpu cooler looks awesome with the lights now :)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you have any further trouble with this, try these thoughts.

1. I think the only way you'll know if the USB connection is working is via the MasterPlus+ software. And that may only work initially in terms of its ability to search out and link to the Controller. I am not sure whether that software can do the search if it was installed BEFORE the USB link is established. So maybe your best bet is to wipe out those things and start with none of them installed, then follow a particular sequence.

2. Assuming you have all the stuff connected right now, leave them connected. First UN-install the MasterPlus+ software, then reboot.

3. Now go into Device Manger in Windows. Look at details of all your USB devices, particularly USB2. Find anything that looks like it is the CoolerMaster Small Controller. For each of these (if there is more than one) Disable it, then Delete it. IF you see any "Unknown Devices" that really are the Controller, do the same for that. Shut down. THEN go in and disconnect the USB2 cable from the Controller to your USB 2 header.

4. Reboot. Check in Device Manager there is no trace of the Controller. This will ensure the system knows nothing about the Controller and can star "clean". Shut down again.

5. Open up and connect the USB2 cable from controller to a mobo port. Boot up, and Windows should detect the new device and install a driver for it. Check in Device Manager that it is present with no yellow caution symbol on it.

6. Install MasterPlus+ software. It should search for the Controller on a USB2 port and find it so you can access it.

If that does not work, call CoolerMaster Tech Support for their advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts