Cooler Master Debuts MasterWatt 1200W, 1500W PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Why start with such large capacities? How many of us with our systems need more than 1000w anymore? How many need more than 750w? If they want this line to take off, they need to get the smaller models out quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Why start with such large capacities? How many of us with our systems need more than 1000w anymore? How many need more than 750w? If they want this line to take off, they need to get the smaller models out quick, fast, and in a hurry.

They don't necessarily need high volume as much as higher profit margins. It makes sense to start a very high end line with high capacity models because lower capacities can't have prices that scale linearly with the drop in power delivery. Higher wattage models give a valid excuse for higher prices and most people who would use them would be customers with a better idea of how not to break them and then go complaining to the manufacturer about something that is really the customer's fault. This is especially true for Cooler Master since their reputation isn't great for power supplies.

It should also be noted that features like being digitally controlled and titanium efficiency are far less important for lower wattage power supplies. High wattage supplies need that efficiency to keep the heat and noise down.

That depends on which cards your'e talking about and the rest of the system. Assuming an i7-5960X with four GTX 980 Ti or Titan Black cards and other relevant specs, something like a 1500W may be ideal, especially if overclocking is involved.

Cooler Master MasterWatt? What a stupid name :p

Anyway, this is a very unique looking power supply. The ability to turn off over-current protection circuits and turn it into a single 12V rail is a feature I've never seen on a PSU before. In addition, I'm assuming it is 1.5X thicker wiring that allows for more current. Can't complain about that! There are a lot of these Titanium units hitting the market. Thermaltake recently released a 1250W unit that has a custom RGB LED controlled via software. Software is becoming more common and is no longer just a Corsair HXi thing.

I would really like to see lower-wattage units of these though priced well. If they sold a 550W Coolermaster MasterWatt for around $75 that'd be great. I also have high hopes for these in terms of ripple, voltage regulation, and longevity. Jonny will tell us!

I just want more competition in the 850W and below market segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.