[SOLVED] Cooler Master G650M to NZXT C650, worth the upgrade?

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
Hi, Is it worth upgrading from a "Cooler Master G650M, 650W, 80+ Bronze)" to a "NZXT C650, 650W, 80+ Gold ". Why i'm asking is because the NZXT is on sale and i'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade, or if i should wait and get an even better one in the future.

Specs:
MSI B550-A Pro
Ryzen 3700X
GTX 980 TI
Corsair Vengeance LPX (16GB DDR4 3200MHZ RAM)
ADATA SX8200 - 512GB

Last edited:
Solution
Tier A and Tier B. Tier C is when you have no choices. Tier D and Tier E is when you want to start a fire to cook some marshmallow.

The Cooler Master GM is a Tier C PSU.

The NZXT C650 is a Tier A PSU.

The NZXT is def better than that Cooler Master.

You don't need to buy it tho. Only if you want a greater quality PSU.

Hi, Is it worth upgrading from a "Cooler Master G650M, 650W, 80+ Bronze)" to a "NZXT C650, 650W, 80+ Gold ". Why i'm asking is because the NZXT is on sale and i'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade, or if i should wait and get an even better one in the future.

Specs:
MSI B550-A Pro
Ryzen 3700X
GTX 980 TI
Corsair Vengeance LPX (16GB DDR4 3200MHZ RAM)
ADATA SX8200 - 512GB

Pointless. You're not going to see an ROI for a more efficient PSU in even 10 year's time.

Reactions: Vic 40 and Nemesia

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
Pointless. You're not going to see an ROI for a more efficient PSU in even 10 year's time.

i just thought i would be more on the safe side if i bought the NZXT now that it’s on sale. People always tell me i should upgrade because my PSU is crap. Maybe if i’m lucky i can get my hands on a GTX 1080 Ti or even a 2080 Ti in the future and i’m not sure how my current PSU would cope with that.

i just thought i would be more on the safe side if i bought the NZXT now that it’s on sale. People always tell me i should upgrade because my PSU is crap. Maybe if i’m lucky i can get my hands on a GTX 1080 Ti or even a 2080 Ti in the future and i’m not sure how my current PSU would cope with that.

It's not garbage. It's a CWT made PSU. It's double forward, but at least it has DC to DC. It's not like you're powering an Ampere with it.

Reactions: refillable

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
It's not garbage. It's a CWT made PSU. It's double forward, but at least it has DC to DC. It's not like you're powering an Ampere with it.

Thanks for the more nuanced opinion. I went ahead and bought the "NZXT C650" just to be sure though but then i don't have to stress abouyt installing the new PSU directly but i'll wait a couple of weeks til i have more time on my hands.

Tier A and Tier B. Tier C is when you have no choices. Tier D and Tier E is when you want to start a fire to cook some marshmallow.

Solution

Mr Drummer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
One question: how sturdy are the connectors on a motherboard. When i switch to the new NZXT PSU that’ll be the fourth time i pull out the 24-pin and CPU-power cables from the motherboard.

One question though, how sturdy are the connectors on a motherboard. When i switch to the new NZXT PSU that’ll be the fourth time i pull out the 24-pin and CPU-power cables from the motherboard.
It should be sturdy enough to survive plugging in and out for tens of times. You shouldn't be sending the same message twice, you can use the "@" to tag people so that they answer you.