[SOLVED] cooler master gx 550w 80plus

Aug 6, 2020
hi im new
i curious about my rig
some people say that my power supply is trash,
and i also miss seeing, i tough my psu is 80+ bronze, but its only 80+ instead should i change with my current specifications

i5 3570
h61m s2p r3
2x4gb
rx 580 8gb nitro+
4 corsair case fan
2 sata hdd

thanks for the advice i really need a info

Solution
this is what i always scared of, the 2010 product, i buy this psu 2nd hand and dunno how long the past owner using for

so i should turn off my rig and find a proper psu ? a 80+bronze 500w should be fine right ?
First of all, NEVER by second hand PSUs. The older it is, the earlier it'll fail.
No need to turn it off. Just don't play games until you get a new PSU.
80+ certification doesn't matter. The quality matters. And for a card that power hungry, Corsair CX550 is the cheapest safe bet. Spending on a PSU is worth it.
Get something from tier B or above as per this thread.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
hi im new
i curious about my rig
some people say that my power supply is trash,
and i also miss seeing, i tough my psu is 80+ bronze, but its only 80+ instead should i change with my current specifications

i5 3570
h61m s2p r3
2x4gb
rx 580 8gb nitro+
4 corsair case fan
2 sata hdd

thanks for the advice i really need a info
Get a CX 450 Gray label if possible in the least. Rx580 is very power hungry. Cheap units might not keep up with it.

Last edited:
It's not complete trash but it's not exactly great either.

What's more worrying is that its a model that harks back from 2010.

How long have you owned it from new?

Really it needs replacing if you're going to be entirely sensible.

The 580 can spike to 200w at points, it needs a rock solid quality 500w plus pllsu to run safely imo.

The cx 450 will handle it but it wouldn't be first choice, it's a little too close to its limits imo.

Aug 6, 2020
It's not complete trash but it's not exactly great either.

What's more worrying is that its a model that harks back from 2010.

How long have you owned it from new?

Really it needs replacing if you're going to be entirely sensible.

The 580 can spike to 200w at points, it needs a rock solid quality 500w plus pllsu to run safely imo.

The cx 450 will handle it but it wouldn't be first choice, it's a little too close to its limits imo.
this is what i always scared of, the 2010 product, i buy this psu 2nd hand and dunno how long the past owner using for

so i should turn off my rig and find a proper psu ? a 80+bronze 500w should be fine right ?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED

First of all, NEVER by second hand PSUs. The older it is, the earlier it'll fail.
No need to turn it off. Just don't play games until you get a new PSU.
80+ certification doesn't matter. The quality matters. And for a card that power hungry, Corsair CX550 is the cheapest safe bet. Spending on a PSU is worth it.
Get something from tier B or above as per this thread.

Solution