Review Cooler Master HAF 700 Evo Review: Expensive Excellence

C.wolf

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
It's nice but at $500, I'll probably just keep my old HAF X boxes forever.
Now, if I could get a $300 or $400 trade in for the old box ...

geogan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I bought this case. Looks great, but is seriously pissing me off right now - lots of serious problems with it.

1. The front LCD panel ONLY works if you run some Cooler-master software which runs continuously in the background as a system service - CoolerMaster MasterPlus Technology Service - but of course this garbage software continuously polls ALL hardware it seems and this causes it to poll all drives in machine, so my four 10TB storage drives can NEVER GO TO SLEEP, and instead make continuous not normal head movement clicking sounds as this software keeps moving the heads every second with special low level commands for information. When I kill the service I am back to silent drives and working machine, but now the front LCD just has a static spinning picture of incorrect CPU or whatever happened to be displayed as service was killed. Leaving this low level hardware polling going would have killed the expensive drives very quickly. Also when I put machine to sleep at night the LCD stays ON and showing same image.

2. The front USB panel does not work as advertised. At back of case is a bundle of cables from front of case, and it includes TWO 19-pin USB3.1 connectors with two cables going into each of them. My standard enthusiast X57 Hero VIII motherboard only has ONE 19-pin USB connector, so could only plug one cable in, so that means only two of the four front USB ports is actually working.

I had no choice but to search on Amazon to buy some 19-pin splitter cable and just got it today - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09KY2ZYVC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , and tried using it to connect the two 19-pin cables - it doesn't work, Windows gives the device connected sound but then says "USB device malfunctioned" when I try and connect my iPhone XS to PC.

This works when only one original case cable is plugged into motherboard. COOLER-MASTER FOR OVER 700 EURO FOR A CASE YOU SHOULD SUPPLY A WORKING TWO TO ONE 19-PIN MOTHERBOARD CABLE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TRY AND DO IT MYSELF AND STILL NOT WORK!!

Nowhere does it say you need 2 x USB 3.0 19-pin header – for 4 x USB 3.0 Type-A ports at the front of the case

3. Tried to turn off PC using front panel power button because a GPU overclock hung display - COULD NOT DO THIS. In order to turn off you seem to have to hold power button in - then PC goes off, then IMMEDIATELY COMES ON AGAIN!!! Can't turn it off, without it coming on again!! Only way was to wait for Windows to load, and then shut down from there instead.

4. The "vertical GPU holder" is rubbish - ribbon is TOO LONG, TIGHT and STRAINED - no way to install my new Gigabyte Gaming 4080 so it is straight and level - it is now strained at an off angle (about 20 degrees) to the motherboard (becasue the too long ribbon cable is pushing it out under severe pressure while the back clamping mechanism is pulling it in the opposite way) - it looks absolutely terrible and can't be good for the two PCI-E connectors, which are being bent by the pressure from ribbon cable. Now I think I have to go back and remove the vertical holder and put GPU in normally which is a joke!

5. Horrible resonance in the included main HD case. I have four drives installed in this and when they are on and spinning (not sleeping) there is horrible noise coming from resonant vibration from drives through cage and into main frame. It is not constant either, keeps changing tone/frequencies of noise - sounds like a hairdressers shaver going all the time! Cage should have been insulated or dampened better to prevent vibration resonance amplifying through entire metal of case.

Absolutely terrible impressions of this new case. For the price of this case I should not be having these sorts of crazy problems with the case/software to run it.

Last edited: