Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hi,

I've just bought myself a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus cooler for my AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE.

I have the Cooler Master Elite 430 case with 3 fans (1 front, 1 side, 1 back).

I was idling at around 35 to 40 with the phenom's stock cooler. Now after I install the Hyper 212 plus, the temps still idle at around 35 to 42 degrees celcius.

I used the thermal paste that came along with the cooler. Please suggest me if I am doing something wrong.

Solution
OK. Checked and changed everything, benchmarked (quite sick of 3DMark right about now I can tell you that!). This is what I came up with...

My CPU (just for clarity) is the Core 2 Quad Q8400. I overclocked it from 2.66GHz up to 3.2GHz. I removed the extra 120mm fan from the Hyper 212+ cooler, and ran the stock fan with only the BIOS Q-Fan profiles changed.

Idle, these where the stats in my BIOS:

dfyjde.jpg

To place the CPU under load, I did the following:

I used 3DMark06 and ran the two CPU benchies, 1920 x 1080 (although I don't think that makes a difference on the test, it doesn't do GPU testing then), each repeated 3 times without inteference.

This made for about 8 minutes of 100% CPU load...

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

as long as your not hitting close to 62c under full load your safe I would think

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Seeing as how you had troubles with keeping the CPU cool at stock speeds, and at idle, I don't think overclocking is a good idea. First try to run the CPU at 35'C or less with the fan at under 1000RPM, and then reconsider.

I have the push/pull effect on my cooler (also Hyper 212 +), and my Core 2 Quad runs at 3.2GHz (upped 20% from 2.66GHz) idle with temps around 30'C~35'C depending on the room temperature and if I turn up the fans in my case (Antec DF-30) or not. The top fan from my case blows directly into the fins of the cooler, and the rear extraction fan lines up perfectly with the extracting fan from the cooler, so it kind of looks like it was made for each other. I'll try and take some pics and try to upload them, so you can see how I did it ("try" is used for I don't know if I will actually remember :/).

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

but if he is only getting a max temp of 50c under full loads wouldnt that suggest his cooling is fine he just need to get his fan speeds figured out at idle temps and case airflow? cause when the cpu heats up and the fan ramps up the cooling is good

also you have your top case fan as intake? I thought with the effect of heat rising it was allways best to make the top fan an exhaust to clear hot air from the case?

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
ok, I have a cooler master elite 430 case. the link for the case is :

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=19&product_id=2989

please tell me the places where the intake fans and the exhaust fans to be placed.

I am thinking of this setup now:

2 fans for the CPU (push/pull setup. currently have one but will get another for it)

1 intake - front
1 intake - side
1 exhaust - back
2 exhaust - top (should purchase and then install it)
1 bottom intake fan could not be installed because I have a non modular power supply and all the cables are set in the bottom (too many cables)

so, totally 2 intakes and 3 exhausts. will that be good or the intake fans have to increase.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
ok. I will setup the fans as you suggested. but the problem is I have 2 fan mounts at the top of the case. Should I set both the top fans as intake or what???????

and I only have 1 fan at the front as intake.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

General rule = intake fans > exhaust fans.

Turn around two of the fans and run the system with 4 intakes and 1 exhaust. Remember the PSU also has an exhaust funtion. The reason to have more intakes than exhausts is to get the air pressure in the case up. Higher air pressure means more air particles in the case and thus better heat disappation (in a vacuum, no heat gets transferred, thus a vacuum flask keeps your coffee warm for hours).

And on the top-exhaust question:

No, I've tried changing this around, but it's not as effective. Remember, the extracting fan on the cooler spins at 2000RPM, and the stock fan (the one pushing air into the cooler) only goes to 800RPM~900RPM. Thus I made the top fan push extra air in there as well, so that the extracting fan doesn't start to suck too much of a vacuum in the cooler. The rear extraction case fan takes care of extraction out of the case (spinning at about 1200RPM constantly), so I don't need another extraction fan either way.

Oh, about that temperarute issue, I read somewhere that he got around 50'C at IDLE, and not at LOADS. My bad :??:

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
so can you tell me what should be the final setup of the fans in my cooler master elite 430 case:

push/pull for the cpu cooler
1 intake - front
1 intake - side
2 intakes - top (or should it be 1 intake and 1 exhaust)
1 exhaust- back

bottom (cannot install as the non modular cables are too many and are seated at the bottom).

please suggest for best airflow.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
OK, here goes:

You want two things in case cooling:

1. High air pressure
2. As effective ventilation as possible

The first is aquired by giving the case more intakes than exhausts.

The second is done by thinking a bit smart. There is no use having an intake and an exhaust next to each other, the intake will just suck in the hot air from the exhaust and not help to cooling at all. Here's what I'd do if I were you:

Front fan - Intake
Side fan - Intake
Top fans - Both intake, slow speed
Rear fan - Exhaust

The side fan will be blowing more or less on or between your GFX card and PSU, so some of the air from there will be exhausted via your PSU.

The top fans you don't want blowing down too hard, as that will screw with the overall case ventilation idea of cool air coming in from the front and being exhausted out the back.

The rear fan (the one at the top of the rear panel) is there to exhaust the hot ari from the CPU cooler, so you want the CPU cooler to be mounted in such a way that it blows air into that fan's general direction, whilst keeping the rear fan running at higher speeds (1000RPM~1200RPM) to keep the hot air out of the case at all costs.

This is more or less the general idea behind case cooling. I've seen people setting the side fan as the exhaust, but I think the distance between the CPU cooler and the side fan is just too far for my liking.

See here for a quick Google search image:

16j297b.jpg

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
that would prolly explain why I have higher temps in my case than I should, case has only 2 fans and both are exhaust <top and rear> its an older setup from cyberpower, I have 2 more fans otw now I will try setting up 3 intake 1 exhaust

:lol:

A long thread for this "problem"

1- ASUS Fan expert, Speed fan and all those "Fan controllers" doesn't work well.
2- With your "1600 rpm" I can know that you are using the "Smart Fan Control" in BIOS, that fan can hit the 2000rpm at full speed (a little loud). The BlaseMaster Fan is a PWM fan, so, can run at different rpms.
3- Cool'n'Quote DOESN'T have nothing to do here, that controls the CPU and not the fan.
4- Your fan's case configuration should be 1 Intake(front side) 2 Exhaust (back and top side)
5- If you don't removed the old TIM in the proper way, you won't see a bid difference.
6- What are your ambien temps?
7- I agree with jsc, who cares the idle temps? When you play your rig is in load.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
ok then, I will remove the existing thermal paste (cooler master) and apply arctic silver 5 and then install the cpu cooler in a push/pull config.

as you say I should have exhause at the top and rear. So considering that I have a cooler master 430 case. Here is what I'll do:

1 intake - front
1 intake - side
2 exhausts - top
1 exhaust - rear.

will that be good or should the intakes be greater than the exhausts.

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

cool and quiet does figure into the idle temps that he is complaining about, when active at idle your cpu runs less volts and hence less heat, not that he should activate it, thats personal preference as i said above if max load temp is only 50c the rest is just preference

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hehe that screw in the centre doesn't screw down (as far as I know). It's just there to keep the mount in the center of the heatsink (to keep the heatsink on the CPU and to stop it from being mounted skew and thus forming a crappy seat). It is spring loaded, so it presses down onto the heatsink the whole time, but it cannot be tightened/loosened. I tried turning the "screw" on my cooler, made no difference :)

They should actually have that in the manual, but I guess they dont. :/

Oh and once again, when you mount the heatsink, remove that fans first, then plug them into the motherboard (it's a bitch to plug them into the motherboard after you mounted the heatsink, speciall if you have large hands like me). Then mount the heatsink with the thermal paste onto the CPU. Slide the top mount over the heatsink, and screw all 4 screws in as far as they can go. The middle "screw"-thingy will fit into the small indentation on the contact patch, you'll see, and makes it a lot easier to get the heatsink into posistion.

:)

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I use BIOS set to "Performance" with ASUS Q-Fan control. Fan speeds are perfect, noise is very understandable considering I OC a bit and it keeps my CPU cool. I don't like third-party apps all that much, I've seen they don't always stay as accurate as the BIOS speeds or the original manufacturer software (sometimes the motherboard comes with control software, fan controllers and things included).

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
ok. so you've set your fan speeds to the "performance mode" in the bios. So as you've set it to the performance mode, at what speed does the fan run on your computer. And one more thing, what are your temps at performance mode (both idle and load).

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Well, seeing as how I have an additional fan on my cooler, which is plugged into the "chassis fan" plug, it runs at 2000RPM the whole time. This cools well, and as a result my CPU fan speed never exceeds 900RPM. It's a bit noisy, but I haven't had the chance to look for the settings to turn the fan down a bit.

Idle temps with this setup on my Core 2 Quad @ 3.2GHz (OC from 2.66GHz) is 33'C~34'C, but somethimes drops to 28'C~29'C depending on the room temperature. Load temps aren't much higher, with the CPU test in 3DMark06 (100% load) I managed to keep the CPU temps down to 51'C, with the CPU fan spinning up slightly, to around 1000RPM. I never use the CPU at 100% anyhow, so that fan never speeds up.

I can remove the extra fan, leave the stock fan on ASUS Q-Fan in Performance mode and let you know how that turned out, if you wish? I can also try it on Silent and Optimal modes, just to be thorough. I can do this later this afternoon (I'm in South Africa, it's now 13:00 exactly), and post the results here after the test.

Suitable?

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
yes, please do that for me. I will till then. You've really been helpfull.

I will wait until you post the results with one cpu fan (performance, optimal, silent) and then look for another fan in push/pull for my hyper 212 plus. I will also be getting the extra fans for my case (approximately four 120mm fans). Please do post your results. I will be waiting.

Thanks for the extra help. :D

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
No problem. I've been looking to experiment anyways, might as well do something constructive with the process.

I'll remove the extra fan and do:

Silent mode, idle temperature and temperature during CPU test with 3DMark
Optimal mode, idle temperature and temperature during CPU test with 3DMark
Performance mode, idle temperature and temperature during CPU test with 3DMark

I'll keep an eye out for changes in the fan speed, but I don't think I have an RPM meter for the fan, so that might get a bit guessy. Will let you know of the noise anyhow, so you can decide about that.

My case got 2 x 120mm fan at the front, 1 x 120mm fan at the side, 1 x 120mm fan at the rear, 1 x 140mm fan at the top, 2 x 120mm fan on the cooler, 1 x 120mm fan on the PSU and 1 x 80mm fan on the GPU, and noise levels are quite OK. Most noise comes from the 120mm side intake fan, and I'm considering removing it or placing it on a fan controller. 2000RPM sucking air through those little holes = noisiest fan on the PC, by far.

Oh, just for the LOLz, if I turn up all my case fans to maximum, it gets quite noisy, but the one with the most noise is by far the GPU fan. At idle/low loads it's completely silent, but when it heats up badly (big OC under heavy load) the fan can reach 2600RPM without problem. Sounds like a chainsaw then :(

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
oh, ok then I will wait for you to post the temps on silent, optimal and performance modes. After you come out with the temps, I will probably add these fans on my cooler master 430 case:

1 120mm front (intake)
1 120mm side (intake)
1 120mm rear (exhaust)
2 120mm top (exhaust)
2 x120 mm's for the cpu cooler

and I will try to somehow adjust another 120mm intake on the bottom ( I will give it a try but not sure because of my non modular PSU cables at the bottom).