[SOLVED] Cooler Master Hyper 212Evo fan replacement

Syrphid

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
The fan on my Cooler Master Hyper 212Evo started squeaking and slowing down. I have the extra brackets that came with it to add a second fan. Can I buy any 120mm case fan and screw it into these brackets? Then snap off the brackets holding the original fan to the unit and snap on the new bracket and fan assembly?

If so, can I do all of this without removing the Hyper 212Evo from the CPU?

Thanks!

Solution
Correct. The brackets will slide up and down. So you can slide the broken fan off the tower, remove the bad fan, replace it with a working one, and slide it back down. I wouldn't use just any 120mm fan. Make sure it has the CFM and static pressure at least of the stock fan.

4745454b

Titan
Correct. The brackets will slide up and down. So you can slide the broken fan off the tower, remove the bad fan, replace it with a working one, and slide it back down. I wouldn't use just any 120mm fan. Make sure it has the CFM and static pressure at least of the stock fan.

Solution

Syrphid

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
Thanks for your help! Here are the stock fan specs:
2000 RPM, static pressure 2.7 mm H20, 83 CFM.

After looking at an article rating static pressure fans from 2021 at graphicscardhub.com, I am considering the
Noctua NF-F12 industrial PPC-2000 PWM
2000 RPM, static pressure 3.94 mm H20, 72.7 CFM

Does that seem like a reasonable choice? A lot of other fans I looked at have 50-70 CFM ratings.

Thanks again - before I read your reply I'll admit I had never heard of static pressure! Now I know the difference between uses for static pressure fans and high airflow fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Noctua NF-F12 industrial PPC-2000 PWM
Let me try and talk you out of this one. I have both the 1500 and 3000rpm versions of this one, and:
The F12 is behind its time. It gets noisy before it gets good, and I sit about 1.5m away from my PC.
You might have a hard time running this fan over 1000rpm for extended periods - the muscle isn't really there below that either.

Look towards Arctic's P12/F12, or Noctua's own Redux P12 instead.

Reactions: logainofhades

Syrphid

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
Let me try and talk you out of this one. I have both the 1500 and 3000rpm versions of this one, and:
The F12 is behind its time. It gets noisy before it gets good, and I sit about 1.5m away from my PC.
You might have a hard time running this fan over 1000rpm for extended periods - the muscle isn't really there below that either.

Look towards Arctic's P12/F12, or Noctua's own Redux P12 instead.

Thanks for the advice! I ended up buying Arctic BioniX P120. A bit lower CFM and the same static pressure as the original fan. This fan has a 4-pin Connector + 4-pin Socket. Am I right in guessing that I just use the 4-pin Connector on the motherboard and that I don't need to connect the 4-pin Socket to anything unless I am connecting several fans together?