Cooler Master Improves Geminll S524 With Copper Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saberus

Distinguished
From the looks of it you have to remove the heat sink if you have to replace or add RAM, and with it lopsided it might be a bit of a pain to install. It may work for folks who do a one-and-done build and never upgrade. As I plan for repair-ability and upgrade-ability, this cooler would be a no-go for me.

the vortex plus takes a 90mm fan and theres room for tall memory in the close slot

ya,know you see that issue a lot. sure seems the manufactures would see that the memory may hit the cooler but do nothing much about it ??

iPanda

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
From the looks of it you have to remove the heat sink if you have to replace or add RAM, and with it lopsided it might be a bit of a pain to install. It may work for folks who do a one-and-done build and never upgrade. As I plan for repair-ability and upgrade-ability, this cooler would be a no-go for me.

Hmm, perhaps with taller heatsinks on RAM. Seems like enough room in the picture to barely clear after disengaging the retention clips. Definitely have room if you use low-profile ram / heatsinks.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Problem is, for a number SFF cases, this cooler is still too tall. The sweet spot for a number of SFF cases is around 65mm to 70mm. So they need to decrease the height on this cooler even more than it already is

My question is why not have the cooler suck air through the fins. This way you are not blowing hot air down onto the memory chips which you are trying to cool. The cooler accelerated air would be much better than blowing down hot air onto the components.

Yes, I am well versed in it but when you are doing low end cooling, you don't use hot air to try and cool things. Now when you are getting into liquid nitrogen cooling things are a bit different but that heatsink setup isn't liquid nitrogen, it is air. Just strikes me as funny as to why companies would keep choosing to do it this way. I think Tom's should do an article on this and see if blowing down or sucking air off the heatsink actually makes the components around it cooler or warmer.

Dan414

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
So... could I get a benefit by turning my fan downward on my CM vortex? It shipped to pull air up, away from the CPU. I'll have to think about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.