Cooler Master Introduces G-Series PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
"All of the units are 80 Plus Bronze certified, and managed this because of active PFC."

Really?

Does this mean all power supplies with PFC are 80+ bronze?
Why is it that most 80+ (no color) as well as 80+ silver, gold, and platinum also have PFC?

Is it possible that power factor control simply controls the current waveform that the power supply draws and has nothing at all to do with the power supply efficiency?

Perhaps the topology of the power supply controls the power supply efficiency.

And how is active power factor control different from passive PFC?

Which one does these power supplies have?

Perhaps simply quoting marketing hype isn't a good idea.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
"The PSUs are cooled by a 120 mm fan, which will always run a silent profile at up to a load of 70 percent."

This is a novel idea. I thought that fans speed should be a function of temperature, not load on the power supply. If the load is 30% but the temperature if 45C, I don't want my fan running in "a silent profile".

4745454b

Titan
While poorly wrote, I believe what they are saying is that unlike other CM PSUs which couldn't be 80+ graded these ones can because they have PFC. Some of CM older PSUs lacked any form of PFC which is REQUIRED if you want an 80+ rating. No PFC, no rating.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Made by Enhance Electronics - so it's still unknown how good it'll be. EE makes both their Silent Pro Golds and their GXs, as well as some Silverstone power supplies.

Enhance, right. They're kinda like Cooler Master (or a box of chocolates), you never know what you're going to get. And not knowing whether a PSU is going to be good or bad, I'll assume it's bad unless reviews demonstrate otherwise.

(I admit Enhance sounds less risky than Seventeam though)

Of course, Cooler Master may well follow standard procedure for their budget PSUs and just not send out any samples for review.

Meh. Cooler Master is very good when it comes to cases, cooling, and even peripherals, but I'm really not a fan of them as a PSU brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts