Cooler Master Launches Passive CPU Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Seen this design before from other companies, this is nothing special. The design and/or shape of the heatsink does not matter, what matters is the materials used, the size of the HS, and the spacing between the fins. Wether you make an X, an O, or a damn hexagon it makes no difference.

So this cooler is meant for.... a Celeron processor with no OC?

Don't think I'd trust a fanless CPU cooler on my Quad. I've got a huge HSF on it now, with lots of fins and a fan, and it still gets warm.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
@DXRick: I'd hate to hear your computer, every review I've read says the 9700 is much louder than other HSFs with the same performance.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

It depends on where you set its fan speed. For my P4 3.0 I only need the middle setting. The highest setting is loud, of course. :ouch:

arrpeegeer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
[citation][nom]DXRick[/nom]It depends on where you set its fan speed. For my P4 3.0 I only need the middle setting. The highest setting is loud, of course. [/citation]

P4 3.0 actually needed a cooler? I thought I just left my windows open back then. I'd hate to think I'd spend $60 to cool down a $60 processor though I guess it did cost a bit more back then :p

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Are you kidding? Depending on which of the P4 3.0s he had, he may have had a CPU that ran far far hotter than today's quads, or otherwise "just somewhat" hotter!

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Sorry for the double post but I couldn't help but feel the need to point out this this weighs over a kilo! Holy crap... Regardless, I'm sticking to Thermalright :)

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
My Socket 478 Prescott P4 3.2 is rated for 89W, that's almost as high as the rated Q6600 power nowadays (although I'd bet my P4 uses more power and the Q6600 just has a higher safety margin when it comes to power ratings. With a Scythe mini Ninja and a 2200RPM 80mm fan, it runs 36-38°C idle, ~52°C load.

draxssab

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Compared to every coolers i tried, my custom made Liquid cooling is by far the best of all, silence is sooooo good.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, and a Bugatti Veyron is the best car (by the numbers) and costs a fortune. You can get a car that's 80% as fast for 1/10th the cost. Stop waving your e-penis around, it's so tacky.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
With the stock HSF the P4 Northwood 3.0 CPU would hit 70C when playing Tiger Woods Tour 2006, setting off the Intel Active Monitor alarm. The Zalman 9700 keeps it at 40C under load and around 30C under normal load.

draxssab

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
[citation][nom]KyleSTL[/nom]Yeah, and a Bugatti Veyron is the best car (by the numbers) and costs a fortune. You can get a car that's 80% as fast for 1/10th the cost. Stop waving your e-penis around, it's so tacky.[/citation]

By this I only wanted to show that the C.M. Hyper Z600 if silent cannot be as performant as air cooling, that is noisy. So if someone "really" need power AND silence, they need high end solutions, as Liquid and not a passive coller. So i'm no "waving my e-penis around" like you said, i'm just lightning the path on this bad cooling solution that is the Z600. Learn to read between the lines.

And by the way, i said "CUSTOM", so i made it by myself, so it only cost me some patience and not more than 90$ of materials.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
i have a zalman 9700, honestly i bought it because it looks so bad ass. everytime i look at that thing, im happy. performance is great but the fan can get loud at the highest settings, usually you don't need to crank up the fan unless you're gaming and want to keep the CPU as cool as possible. the medium settings are sufficient enough for everything, even gaming.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
and to further expand on what spathotan said in the beginning...

the material and size of the heatsink is what matters...

because the more surface area an object has exposed the more heat will be lost and dissipated. coolers such as the TRUE and 9700 has many fins connected to heatpipes. the heatpipes transfers the heat to the fins and because it has to much surface area, heat is dissipated quickly around the heatsink and with proper ventilation in your case, the heat will get pushed out through an exhaust fan of some sort. think of when you are cold and you roll yourself into the fetal position (a ball) to keep warm, its because you are minimizing the surface area that your body has in contact with the environment, vice versa you tend to sprawl your body out when you are laying down in hot weather to maximize surface area to reduce the heat. same concept.

material matters because certain metals conduct heat better than others.

that is all.

Twist86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Unless the heatsink is the size of a PC case I won't be buying one.

I could never understand why people want a fanless heatsink when they could just buy some low DB scythe fans for better results :/

Status
Not open for further replies.