Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M Review: (Air) Wolf In Wolves’ Clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrdwka

Honorable
Jul 26, 2017
Would be nice to see a test without plastic cover.
For me it is unnecessary and probably reduce cooling efficiency...

dennphill

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks for the review, Garrett. With the price of a nice cocktail at my favorite bar being only fifteen bucks, why wouldn't I just get the Dark Rock 4 since I have no use for the RGB-thinggie for my next build. :)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

You are correct with the reference.

Also, there is some confusion with the US/UK site representation of the score.

"4.5/5" should really be converted to "9/10" - this is how our system has been defined internally for ratings.

The UK site has this listed as 4.5/10, which is even more confusing, but I'm working to see if this can be corrected.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I physically measured it with digital calipers.

I must have received a shorter version by 0.25" or 6mm, but my actual guess is that Cooler Master might round up a bit to make the numbers a bit more user-friendly to read to allow for slightly more clearance.

Oct 7, 2019
The Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M, although a more ‘civilian’ version, performs just as well as its TUF Alliance twin.

Would be nice to see a test without plastic cover.
For me it is unnecessary and probably reduce cooling efficiency...

Thanks for the review, Garrett. With the price of a nice cocktail at my favorite bar being only fifteen bucks, why wouldn't I just get the Dark Rock 4 since I have no use for the RGB-thinggie for my next build. :)

I must have received a shorter version by 0.25" or 6mm, but my actual guess is that Cooler Master might round up a bit to make the numbers a bit more user-friendly to read to allow for slightly more clearance.

No one really noticed for 1 year that this cooler was upside down?

The air is pushing it towards the front of the box.

Below you have a picture of the "good" position of the cooler.

9adfdb580007e30ecf65a57bc295209fo.jpg

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Please explain 'cooler upside down'?

Airflow moves from the 'front' of the cooler towards the rear of the case. I believe that you feel that the orientation of the heatpipes and cooling fins dictate the direction on how the cooler can be placed but, no, as long as the fans are moving airflow through the cooler in the same direction and towards the rear exhaust fan, it is installed fine.

Nov 16, 2019
So, it's been a while since I followed computer hardware. Are the dimensions of room between CPU socket and DIMM sockets standardized yet?

I was thinking of getting this one for a 9700K build, but the Trident Z RGB RAM is 44mm high, which is more than the 38mm clearance I gather this one has. And while your test setup seems to have no visible issues as long as not all slots are filled, from looking at it, the distance between the DIMM sockets and the middle of the CPU socket seem pretty far apart compared to what it looks like on the Z390 boards I had a look at - eg. the Strix Z390-F. Maybe it is my imagination, but since I can't find any page stating measurements for the board I can't really check up on it.

Sadly, there apparently aren't too many aRGB CPU coolers, so this one is really attractive.
(not that I actually need RGB, but I also don't really care about the 100/200 currencies price difference for bling bling for the heck of it)

Mar 7, 2020
BE CAREFUL, THE HEIGHT IN THIS REVIEW IS WRONG. I bought this cooler and the specifications from the package states that the height is 165.1 mm!

niceguy1

Distinguished
May 29, 2013
shouldn't the Gammaxx 400 replace the cooler master ma410? cheaper and cooler. also has clips for second fan for push pull.

May 3, 2021
Hi, I know this has been addressed a couple of times but I want to triple check as this thread is from long ago. I want to buy this cooler, but it will only fit my case if it's really 158mm rather than 165.

I've used front pictures of the Hyper 212 RGB (which is also listed in this site as 158mm tall) and the MA410M, and knowing that both fans are 120mm I compared them by making the fans the same size. The result was that if the 212 is indeed 158mm, then the ma410m should be 165mm as it's height compared with the 212 was 26:25 units.

Is the author 100% positive that the 158mm measured was done using the highest point of the cooler (the plastic top of the pipes)? Could there have been any measuring mistake like for example using the calipers on the middle part which height is lower?

I find it confusing if the same measuring method was used on the 212 on this site as here it says it has the same height, but the ma410m is clearly taller than it when you put one next to the other.

I really want to buy the cooler but I'm worried about it fitting. The measures here are my only hope as it's the only site that says it would fit, but I need to be 100% sure to avoid extra costs for returning the package if it doesn't fit.

Thanks in advance and sorry for asking you about this after others did.

May 3, 2021

PLEASE CORRECT THE HEIGHT BEFORE OTHER USERS FALL FOR IT LIKE I DID

Luckily I bought it via amazon and I can return it without additional costs. I have this cooler, right now, in front of me, I've measured it multiple times and the height is the one listed in the box .

The height listed in the article is only possible if by accident the measurement was done on the middle part which is lower, but you need to measure the highest point to make sure it fits in the case! When other users claimed the height was wrong, you reaffirmed it was correct and that's why I bought it, but it's NOT correct.

Another possibility is that you measured and then by accident used the measures of a different one (this is listed as the same height as the Hyper 212 on its review when this is obviously higher).

Even if you got a smaller one, it shouldn't be advertised as a 158mm cooler in the review and then reaffirm it because it's misleading and the product that the users will get is actually 165mm.

Please correct it before others make the same mistake I did for trusting the measures here.

Please explain 'cooler upside down'?

Airflow moves from the 'front' of the cooler towards the rear of the case. I believe that you feel that the orientation of the heatpipes and cooling fins dictate the direction on how the cooler can be placed but, no, as long as the fans are moving airflow through the cooler in the same direction and towards the rear exhaust fan, it is installed fine.

It means that this particular cooler has a design on its sides to help the airflow. It has nothing to do with the fans. I don't know how much it actually helps, but it's advertised to be used in that particular orientation regardless of the fans.

Try reading a few posts up. Rubix already addressed this concern in Sept of 2018.

This didn't help either. The package has the right measures, I can insert images to prove it if necessary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.