[SOLVED] Cooler Master Masterfan MF120R RGB build problems.

Alejolas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Hello all!

So I have my Intel I7 7700K build for about 2 years now and i'ts been really great ... Recently one of my fans started to make noise and I decided, well, maybe it's time to update my whole fan system! I ordered 4 of these fans from cooler master Masterfan MF120R. When they arrived I got to install them and I realized these fans come with a 4 pin connector, my old fans were 3 pin ... my board is an MSI Z270A-PRO specifications here and it can manage up to 4 fans with 4 pins... so no problem. But then boom... 1st problem ... wires are too short!

I was able to fit 3 fans out of the 4 I bought because the 4th fan's cable is just too short. But anyways let me continue and ask questions at the end... I realized these fans come with two different connectors, one is the regular 4 pin and the other one is a 4 tube like female connector i have no idea what it is!

This is the fan package: image and this are the connectors: image2 ... so I just ignored those connectors and put the things to work anyways ... they work fine and don't make noise and keep my pc cool even without connecting my fourth one... BUT the colors are completely off! no colors whatsoever, no RGB, no lights, no fun 😢. So, here are my questions:

1. What can I do to connect my missing fan? Buy a 4pin extender or something?
  2. What is that other 4 pin connector and how can I make my fans lightning system work?

BTW: I've noticed my mobo has a connector labeled JRGB1 but it looks like disabled or something ... It doesn't show in the manual ... here you can see the image of that image3.

What do I need? what should I buy to get everything working?

Help will be much much appreciated ! Thank you!

Solution
Hello all!

So I have my Intel I7 7700K build for about 2 years now and i'ts been really great ... Recently one of my fans started to make noise and I decided, well, maybe it's time to update my whole fan system! I ordered 4 of these fans from cooler master Masterfan MF120R. When they arrived I got to install them and I realized these fans come with a 4 pin connector, my old fans were 3 pin ... my board is an MSI Z270A-PRO specifications here and it can manage up to 4 fans with 4 pins... so no problem. But then boom... 1st problem ... wires are too short!

I was able to fit 3 fans out of the 4 I bought because the 4th fan's cable is just too short. But anyways let me continue and ask questions at the end... I realized these...
Hello all!

I was able to fit 3 fans out of the 4 I bought because the 4th fan's cable is just too short. But anyways let me continue and ask questions at the end... I realized these fans come with two different connectors, one is the regular 4 pin and the other one is a 4 tube like female connector i have no idea what it is!

This is the fan package: image and this are the connectors: image2 ... so I just ignored those connectors and put the things to work anyways ... they work fine and don't make noise and keep my pc cool even without connecting my fourth one... BUT the colors are completely off! no colors whatsoever, no RGB, no lights, no fun 😢. So, here are my questions:

1. What can I do to connect my missing fan? Buy a 4pin extender or something?
  2. What is that other 4 pin connector and how can I make my fans lightning system work?
BTW: I've noticed my mobo has a connector labeled JRGB1 but it looks like disabled or something ... It doesn't show in the manual ... here you can see the image of that image3.

What do I need? what should I buy to get everything working?

Help will be much much appreciated ! Thank you!
Picture 2 .left connector is for fan's motor and right one is for RGB light. Unfortunately your MB doesn't have RGB controller so if you want lights, you'll have to get a separate one. If it does have JRGB that's where you should connect it to.

Solution

Alejolas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Picture 2 .left connector is for fan's motor and right one is for RGB light. Unfortunately your MB doesn't have RGB controller so if you want lights, you'll have to get a separate one. If it does have JRGB that's where you should connect it to.

Hmmm any recommendations on controllers? Also, an extension for fan cable... such a thing exists? Thanks!