Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L Constantly/Turbo Boosting loud waterpump?

elracraft

Reputable
Dec 13, 2017
Hi, I recently got a i7-8700 with a Coolermaster Masterliquid ML120L, Asrock fatal1ty b360 mobo, 16GB-2666 RAM, Nvidia Gigabyte Windforce GTX1070 Ti, ssd 250GB M.2 and 4TB WD Black in a NZXT Phantom 240 black case. I'm not an expect when it comes to pc building or hardware but I did spend weeks researching which parts I wanted and am really happy with the performance...

Except my pump (the round thing on the cpu with the rgb logo) was VERY loud when gaming or browsing. Like an airplane taking off and loud constant noise when doing nothing on the pc too. From reviews, I thought the pump was supposed to be inaudibly quiet < 15 dBA.

But even when I put the pump on silent mode in the BIOS, it will be constantly loud. Is there a fan in there too? I have no idea since I haven't explicitly read there is and assume it's the pump itself. The only way I could fix the noise was by running the fan-tuning which set a custom curve. But then still, whenever Turbo Boost kicked in, it sounded like an airplane taking off. It had 70° set at 100% fan power in the BIOS. I found it was Turbo Boost by turning it off in the BIOS or setting my maximum pc power in the Windows 10 power settings to 99% (which I later read also turns off Turbo Boost).

I am not doing OC since I have a non-k chip and B360 motherboard, I just have the Turbo Boost at 1000MHz (was 800 default) and used the BIOS XMP to set RAM at 2666 speed.

So I fixed that turbo boosting noise by setting a custom curve fan control like this: 50° - 20%, 55° - 25%, 60° - 30%, 70° - 35%. Mind you I have no idea if this is good, or advisable, but it's what worked. I found the highest fan % (so 100 before, 35 now) is what the Turbo Boost kept the pump going up to in power.
From everything I've read I thought the pump was supposed to be at max at all time?! The Fan on the radiator is at max at all time, and I read that's normal, it's not noisy at all so it doesn't bother me though it did bother a reviewer. Which makes me think something's wrong with my cooler as my experiences seem to be different concerning the pump AND the radiator fan?

I also tried switching the cable that comes from the radiator, and the cable that comes from the pump. I had this build made by a popular (web)shop, and they connected the radiator cable
to the cpu fan 2 / wpump pin. And the pump pin to the cpu fan 1 pin. I tried switching these at the advice of a friend, but that didn't change much. Both pins seemed to do the same. I didn't find any manual or website that indicated which cable is which, so I hope I'm assuming correctly about the radiator/pump cable.

In the bios H/W tab I can switch the CPU FAN 2 to WPUMP (how I have it connected now) and no matter which pin the cables were connected on, silent mode on the wpump was noisy as hell. So I guess these pins autodetect what they have to do?

ASROCKATuning says CPU FAN 2 (I assume this is the pump) is at or under 600RPM and the CPU FAN 1 radiator fan is steady at around a constant 2246-2260 RPM

(Kind of off-topic: The shop that built this pc I think have both installed the front case fans of my NZXT Phantom 240 doing intake, but the fan on the radiator on the back of the case is on the outside and the radiator on the inside and I think it also does intake. I don't have a top fan, isn't this a bad configuration or is it nothing to worry about? I hardly feel air pressure from either side of the radiator on the side to where I think it pushes and sometimes the top of the case can get a bit warm but not for long.)

But! The CPU temperatures with any setting I've had were great. With the current setting curve mentioned earlier I'm at 36° at idle, 50-60° while gaming, a max of 69° running cinebench cpu. From what I've read these should be excellent temperatures.
And the gaming FPS is great, I've been able to max out any game I've tried and they all run smoothly at 60 FPS VSYNC (can't stand tearing), and higher FPS with vsync disabled for testing.

So everything is great now, but I still feel very odd about not finding any forum posts or websites that speak about this fan control stuff and this noise. So another assuming question I have: should the fan curve be a steady one perhaps because I keep reading everywhere a waterpump, especially AIO is supposed to run at 100% constantly? Which percentage would you recommend or is there something very wrong I need to let check asap by a professional?

I think I'm either misunderstanding a lot about water cooling, or I assume I have a problem with my water cooler, connections, cpu (turbo boost), or mobo?! I only found one thread in this same forum that says inconsistent power was the issue and they fixed it with Asus AI Suite 2 but didn't say how.

Thanks very much in advance for helping me understand what's going on, and what I can try or have to change.

Solution
You should be good now because your load temps are good and noise is down. Sometimes high rpm fans don’t work well with some cases with bad space for the fans to get air. GOOD LUCK ;)

elracraft

Reputable
Dec 13, 2017
Thanks winks, so it's just air bubbles then, I did a lot more reading and now I have set the fan speeds at 30% across the board and performance & noise seems to be ok. Could I get more performance out of it if I replace the cpu cooler or shouldn't it matter?
cinebench multicore cpu result is 1337. single core cpu speed is 193. Max temp was 64 degrees during the benchmarks.