Question Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240 Illusion vs Asus TUF LC240?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Hello

If you had to pick between the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240 Illusion Gen.2 ARGB and the Asus TUF LC240, which one will it be and why?

PS: For a 13600kf

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The major advantages of an AIO/CLC that I've noted are:
1)Small Form Factor cases and motherboards that don't have the clearance for a good air cooler.
Tall ram is situational; some air coolers are 'leaned back' or use smaller fans/heatsinks, others allow for pull fan installation when push doesn't fit.

2)All core workhorses with power use that even the biggest air coolers can't hang with and drop off a cliff. Primarily, recent Core i7 and i9 cpus; some of 'em just slurp power on Blender and similar loads.
The worst Ryzen power guzzler, the 3900X*, is still manageable on air. [The 7950X is highest, but a bit of a special case.]
Exclude those kinds of workloads and AIOs aren't overlooking air coolers from a cliff anymore.

3)The case is short 2 or 3 case fans? Well, an AIO can fill those gaps.
Got plenty of fans already? Then this is moot.
120mm? Screw those; that's just one fan.

4)The PC is moved often. Saves you having to repaste an air cooler often - at least, I wouldn't travel with an air cooler still mounted to the motherboard.

5)Ryzen cpus core clocks scale with operating temperature(that's NOT the only factor, but this is just about cooling), thus it's easier to sustain higher core clock averages can be with an AIO.
Core i cpu cores don't scale with temperature; the 13600K isn't slowing down until it hits 99.5C.
You mean a liquid cooler is overkill for this CPU?
Not sure I'd call it overkill... but the ones you are looking at are a lot more expensive than the cooler Zerk2012 suggested, and well...
These AIOs cost around 100 bucks more than the Peerless Assassin, but what else do they do for you, besides provide stronger cooling to the 13600K on all core workloads, that it convinces you, "Hey, this is worth the 100 bucks extra!"?
Or maybe you just want one...