Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 230V 500W

Solution
I wouldn't use this PSU, 2 reasons:

1. It's only 80+ certified.
I don't use any PSU that isn't at least 80+ Bronze certified. With 80+ Bronze, you can be sure that PSU has some build quality in it. But it depends on PSU. Not all 80+ Bronze certified PSUs are worth using.

2. It's hold up time is lower than ATX standard of 16ms.
From the specs page, there can be read that it only has 11ms of hold-up time.
specs: http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/masterwatt-lite-series/masterwatt-lite-230v-500w/

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't use this PSU, 2 reasons:

1. It's only 80+ certified.
I don't use any PSU that isn't at least 80+ Bronze certified. With 80+ Bronze, you can be sure that PSU has some build quality in it. But it depends on PSU. Not all 80+ Bronze certified PSUs are worth using.

2. It's hold up time is lower than ATX standard of 16ms.
From the specs page, there can be read that it only has 11ms of hold-up time.
specs: http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/masterwatt-lite-series/masterwatt-lite-230v-500w/

Solution

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Sure.

For good quality 400W range PSU, i'd use Seasonic unit. Either S12II-430 or G-450,
pcpp: http://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/4Vzv6h,xVkD4D/

S12II series is 80+ Bronze and fully wired while G series is 80+ Gold and semi modular.

All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs in my sig. (Got PRIME series in Skylake, M12II EVO series in Haswell and S12II series in AMD.)

Old thread, I know. But, need to do it.

I have to correct your thinking errors here. 80plus does NOT offer a guarantee of ANY kind that there is any probability of getting a good unit unless the build is otherwise good anyhow. I would not EVER use 80plus certification as a measure of whether a unit is good or bad. There are FAR more units out there with 80plus certifications that I wouldn't use to power an LED bulb than there are models with it that are worth using.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/04/80_plus_irrelevant_to_you_when_buying_psu/#.VCs8dul0xhE

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/power-supplies-with-fake-80-plus-badges/

Trust professional reviews to tell you that unless you are trained to dissect the internals yourself and have the means to test them. If there are no reviews of the unit or of any OTHER unit that uses the same internal platform, then I'd avoid that unit and get one that DOES have satisfactory reviews from a TRUSTED review site, not just any old site like Guru3D and some others that don't even have the means or the skill to do a thorough review and mostly just review the looks and packaging, and whether it worked in their test system or not.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

At current time, i'm well aware that PSU's efficiency certification has nothing to do with it's build quality, especially when PSU comes from shady reseller (e.g any reseller listed in PSU Tier list, Tier Five).

Though, there are trusted OEMs and resellers out there with whom you can't go wrong. I prefer Seasonic since with Seasonic units, there are no false advertisement and you get what you pay for. Seasonic has been in the business for over 40 years and that can't be done by lying and cheating as many companies do to show their PSUs being better than they are (e.g Coolmax). While there can be lemons even in Seasonic lineup (since nobody is perfect) but the good thing is that RMA process takes care of the defective PSU. Besides Seasonic, Super Flower is another great OEM who's PSUs to go for. Though, Super Flower PSUs can be harder to get without buying the PSUs from reseller.

As far as PSU reviews go, i look up PSU reviews either from RealHardTechX PSU review database,
link: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html
or directly from JonnyGuru,
link: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=All_Reviews

RealHardTechX PSU review database is great source to find trusted PSU reviews though.

I wonder, do you go over any PSU related topic that was created during your absence to add additional information or am i the only one whose errors you correct? :)

Yes Aeacus, I realize and believe that YOU know this, however, there are a GREAT many people who do not, and when you make statements like

With 80+ Bronze, you can be sure that PSU has some build quality in it.

It CAN be misleading to some visitors, especially those that don't speak english particularly well, as you well know. Just wanted to add that so that nobody took that statement, which was coming from what I feel is one of our generally better, more accurate members (You) and took it as gospel.

Even saying that as long as it is 80plus bronze at least, and comes from a well known PSU brand isn't good enough because EVGA, Antec, Corsair, Cooler Master, FSP, Raidmax (ALL Raidmax are junk as far as I'm concerned, even though there is supposedly ONE good model out there from them), Thermaltake, BeQuiet, Fractal Design, NZXT AND even Super Flower, just to name a few, all have 80plus bronze or higher rated units that, based on highly trustworthy reviews, are not very good at all.

Just like to see you put a little more explanation into WHICH 80plus (Bronze, Gold, Platinum, really doesn't matter) units are trustworthy rather than just saying 80plus bronze even if you do mention Seasonic in passing.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I got to ask, why did you took only the first part of my statement and didn't consider the whole statement which gives a different meaning?
My full statement:
With 80+ Bronze, you can be sure that PSU has some build quality in it. But it depends on PSU. Not all 80+ Bronze certified PSUs are worth using.
Without the two sentences at the end, meaning changes to that all 80+ Bronze units have some quality in them. But that's not what i said. With the 2 additional sentences, my statement means that it depends on a PSU.
Even though i didn't state which PSU would be safe to use in that very reply, i did suggest to OP that going with either S12II or G-series PSU from Seasonic, would be better choice than going with Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite.

While there are many popular PSU resellers, i keep away from them and i prefer to buy all my PSUs directly from OEMs, without the middleman. Since getting a good unit from a popular reseller can be quite hard because many popular resellers don't stick with selling units from one OEM alone. For example, Corsair alone resells units from 6 different OEMs (HEC, CWT, Seasonic, Great Wall, Chicony and Flextronics). Same with EVGA who resells units from 7 different OEMs (HEC, Seasonic, Andyson, Enhance, FSP, Super Flower and Etasis). Figuring out which units are good quality and which are bad quality takes quite a bit of time, something most users don't want to spend their time on.

To keep things simple, i suggest getting Seasonic unit whenever possible since with Seasonic, there's no middleman who disguises the actual OEM. Also, Seasonic units have enough build quality in them to be considered as good or great units (depending on PSU's model).
For budget buyers, i keep my suggestion to S12II, M12II EVO, G and Focus+ series. For high-end users, i suggest getting PRIME 80+ Titanium or if the build theme is white, Snow Silent.

There is a very simple reason why, and yes, I did note that you said that if you read over my statement which clearly says "Even if you do mention Seasonic in passing".

The reason is, you have to understand that MOST people are only going to read up to the point where they see "With 80plus bronze you can be sure that PSU has some build quality in it". That's it. At that point their brain has heard all that they want or think that they need to hear and they are gone to go find whatever unit is the least expensive 80plus bronze that they can find.

If you wish to have a further discussion on this, to the point that we don't continue on any further in this thread with a somewhat unrelated discussion, I'm glad to create a new thread for discussion of the very merits of this point. I don't mind that at all, although I think we could probably do it just as well in the PSU tier list discussion thread too. Anyhow, I wasn't trying to knock on you really, just saying that in THAT ONE SENTENCE you probably should have phrased it more like "Many 80plus bronze units are of better quality than those that lack 80plus bronze certification, but not all of them are." Or something to that effect. Just because most will read that one sentence and then that's it, they are done reading.