Cooler Master MasterWatt Maker 1200 MIJ PSU Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Like, seriously, you could build an entire gaming PC with a different 10-year-warranty PSU for the cost of this one PSU. Simply MUST be targeting the more-money-than-sense crowd here.

jcwbnimble

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
What was CM thinking with this product? Are there really people out there that would drop $1K on a power supply that was inferior to units that cost half as much? This sounds like a product that CM agreed to just to get Murata in bed with them for future projects.

Murata to CM "Sure we'll start making products for you, just agree to buy our first effort regardless of price point, quality, and technological compromises".

I'm now waiting for the CM case made by Gucci that uses external laptop power supplies, has room for only one 7mm SSD, and can't even accommodate a 7" GPU. I'd pay $1k for it as long as everyone knows it's made by Gucci.

jcwbnimble

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Oh, and I forgot to mention that it comes with ribbon cables. How did CM "spare no expense" when it includes basic black ribbon cables? Come on guys, you should have blasted this PSU the second you opened the box and saw ribbon cables on a $1000 power supply.

AND this thing is huge. Seriously CM?!!! The PSU on my original IBM PC/AT wasn't this large, and that had capacitors the size of D batteries in it.

Total fail by Murata and even bigger fail by CM for putting their name on it.

InvalidError

Titan

What is the problem with "basic black ribbon cables"? Personally, those are my favorite. I much prefer that over individual loose wires and braiding that snags on every somewhat sharp corner, screw and anything else that might stick out a bit.

@Arris: the "some other way" to rectify AC without a bridge is bridge-less APFC where the boost diodes and the APFC FETs effectively replace the input bridge.

Evan_83

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
I think the idea behind this power supply is that, in 20 years it will still be humming along without worry. now in that time frame many, many updated designs will surface but that does no good right now.

Also with certain high end electronics, there can be a lengthty break in time usually around 100-200 hours before things settle to the optimum levels.

I would be interested if this has an affect on the testing results. I would like to see the results of that test before making a final conclusion.

with that said i doubt the levels will change enough to persuade anyone but i believe it is possible, and that was likely considered by the engineers.

No other consumer PSU has been built with these types of components, so that's why i feel its a point worth bringing up. I am not defending the price, and Cable preference is so subjective and most people looking at even 150 dollar psu's buy custom cables anyway based on their desired scheme.

Aris and Toms hardware puts out the most in depth power supply reviews i have been able to find and they do an amazing job, I am hoping for a follow up on this.

High end desktop power supply components are still average in the electronics industry, and I would be interested in seeing a few of these power supplys compared with 2 or 3 years worth of load on them, ie. corsair 1500 etc....

dstarr3

Distinguished

Then why does it only have a 10-year warranty? Equal to that which you can get from other OEMs like Super Flower for less than a fifth the price?

Evan_83

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

In 10 years they will not be producing this design, competition and technology will develop even faster in the next decade than it has in the last decade, so in order to warranty something further than 10 years would cost the company a new model of whatever they were making at the time, Due to unknown design, economy and costs that far into the future even as a consumer I feel its a staggering expectation to offer a warranty of more than 10 years.

The fact that companies like Super Flower, Corsair and the likes make such an incredible volume of power supplies allows them to absorb the blow of potentially failing units much more easily than small scale production.

It could even be argued that such incredible warranty's on consumer power Supply's by all the current top company's models excluding the model in question are made knowing that a seemingly high or surprisingly high amount will likely fail. the benefit to the company is.........

market share and market penetration. Competition is higher than ever before in this market and long term business strategies include things like this. If by taking a loss on say even 10% of their units gained the company 5% market share the company has increased profits. this is just an example.

A company with exclusive products on presumably a low volume production line or custom shop is just another situation all together.

Its not unreasonable idea at this price point but, maybe it is. with this unit you are paying for the cost of components and development with this thing because its a first of its kind.

Under a hardcore long term load usage test, if you had to put a bet on what PSU would last longer what is your money on? after year in year out use will all of the top tier power supply's pass this battery of tests the same? I doubt it but it is not impossible.

The results at say 1000, 8000, and 30,000 hours would tell a very interesting story. And maybe this MIJ unit would be the first to pop.

I do not have specific numbers on electronic component degradation to quote, listing and researching the hundreds of components across platforms to speculate on that would take some serious time, but degradation does exist and I feel that is the biggest reason for the design, materials and resulting cost of this unit.

No one is being forced to buy this though and more options is never bad for the consumer despite the price point, I admire the company's initiative to try something like this, and time will tell the tale of if this project was a worthwhile endeavor.

InvalidError

Titan

You are asking about Murata here, a company that routinely deals with specialty applications where if you must ask how much it costs, you can't afford it. This PSU is aimed at people who don't care how much it costs.

InvalidError

Titan

Plenty of appliances and electronics have lasted 10, 20, 30 or even 40+ years and in some countries, this has set precedents where consumer protection law overrules manufacturer warranties with reasonable expectations based on past track record. Nobody buys a TV, phone or house appliance and expects them to last barely longer than the manufacturer's one year warranty. I bet even places which don't have particularly strong consumer protection laws could still get the manufacturer warranty overruled in small claims under the "fitness for the intended use" or similar parts of retail and other laws.

Nuckles_56

Admirable
Aris, I think you left a few significant figures too many on the vampire power graph, as I don't even think your meters are good enough to measure down to the hundreds on nanowatts level

Evan_83

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

Its always possible that they might extend the warranty period like Seasonic did.

I would like to see someone power their PC with a power supply from a fridge. .....

Well it should last long. Probably very long. This really might just be my bias for Japan, but then I think back to the Japanese electronics I own and the Chinese electronics and how much longer the Japanese-made ones last.

InvalidError

Titan

In no-frills fridges, temperature is controlled by mechanical thermostats, AC-powered fans and and an AC-powered compressor. No electronic power supply is involved and the compressor motor is cooled directly by refrigerant flow through the sealed compressor-motor housing. Most modern fridges are still based on fundamentally the same AC-powered sealed compressor design that has been around for 40+ years. In slightly fancier fridges, all the electronics do is replace the mechanical temperature controls and you aren't going to power a PC on 20W from that.

Evan_83

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

I was making a joke about the fridge power supply...

thank you for the comprehensive reply though; its very informative and thought out.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
@NUCKLES_56

I will just refer you to the product's page to see for your self what it is capable of.
http://www.newtons4th.com/products/power-analyzers/ppa1500-precision-power-analyzer/

I mention what N4L's special vampire power application writes. I don't make the extra digits out of my head :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS