[SOLVED] Cooler Master ML120L Push-Pull

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
I bought a Ryzen 9 5900X for my son's computer and I had a Cooler Master ML120L AIO spare in the box so I decided to use it with the 5900X. The rig will not be used for overclocking but I still wanted to improve the cooling since the ML120L isn't all that great to begin with. So I installed another 120mm fan on the radiator so that I have a push-pull sandwich. I haven't had time to do load testing yet but I don't expect it to be much more than basic cooling.

Has anyone else added a second fan to the Cooler Master AIO?

System: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus X570 WiFi, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB OLOy Warhawk DDR4 3600, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 ti, 1TB WD Black SN770 Gen4 SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HD, Win 10, Rosewill Glacier 850W P/S, DIYPC TG-8 case.

Solution
There are two locations in that DIY case for a mid-size radiator, on top or in the front.
Well, you're actually there with the chassis, so if you're sure the top supports a radiator + fans at the top... then it is what it is, and I can't argue anything against that, other than how closed off the top looks.
When I tried to look up the model's fan and cooling support, I didn't see any mention of top radiator support - only rear and front(up to 280mm). So I assumed that the design allows enough space up there to install fans, but not both fans and a radiator.

As far as air coolers I do have some new ones besides the AMD stock Wraith coolers. I have a Thermaltake UX200 and a ID-Cooling SE-214 that are earmarked for a couple of...

USAFRet

Titan
"improve cooling" is all well and good, but if you're not bumping up against thermal throttling, you're not gaining much.

For instance, at load, if the CPU is at 70C..getting it to 65C does nothing.
But, if you were currently seeing 90C, then yes...that needs to be lowered.

Bottom line...don't chase a problem that does not yet exist.

Reactions: CountMike

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
Okay, I was just wondering if adding a second fan would improve the ML120L, which I did have on hand. The 5900X comes without a stock cooler and the Cooler Master was somewhat better than a basic AMD Wraith Spire which was the only other cooler in my spare parts pile. Now that I've got the system up and running I can look into a long term solution. That being said, with the 5900X in mind, would the Deepcool Castle 240R or the EVGA Clc CL28 be a suitable AIO with a 240/280mm radiator (max that will go in the DIYPC case)? Stock speed only, no overclocking planned.

I'm also looking at the EVGA Clc CL36 as a replacement AIO with 360mm radiator for my system in a Thermaltake Core X9 case. I just put a 5900X in there to replace a 3700X. Same deal, I don't overclock.

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
I looked up pictures and specs for that chassis... that's not happening - I should say, it's not ideal at all. Poorly thought out design that would position the radiator below the cpu block.
Go air cooler for that DIYPC chassis - there's clearance up to 163mm for that.

Have been building PCs since 1992 when I replaced my 386-25 with a 486-33. I used to build for family, friends and co-workers. Now that I'm retired I limit myself to building for family only. Keeps the number of support calls down.

Actually I usually build with air coolers. I had the Cooler Master just sitting around in a box so I decided to use it in order to get the system finished. Based on the box numbers it seemed like it would cover the TDP for the 5900X but without much margin. Not the way I prefer to operate. That's why I'm asking for suggestions for a long term solution.

Have only used AIOs in four builds so far (Cooler Master and Enermax AIOs, two 120s and two 240s). I'm not bothered by fan noise so most of the PCs I build have at least four case fans in them.

There are two locations in that DIY case for a mid-size radiator, on top or in the front. Top would be the most likely due to the length of AIO hoses. That keeps the radiator above the pump block so there shouldn't be any air in the pump under normal operation. Airflow isn't ideal due to the plate glass on top but at least the glass is elevated above the rest of the top of the case so there is an air gap all the way around it. The computer in question needed an optical drive for some legacy software and there weren't many choices for cases with 5.25in bays when the parts were purchased last year. Even less choices now. If I find out that there are temperature issues I can remove one or the other glass sections and replace it with mesh but I would prefer not having to mod the case.

As far as air coolers I do have some new ones besides the AMD stock Wraith coolers. I have a Thermaltake UX200 and a ID-Cooling SE-214 that are earmarked for a couple of Ryzen 5 builds. Reading through the online reviews ends up with mixed bag as to how much CPU they can cool. Since I don't know if they are enough for the 5900X so what would you recommend?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There are two locations in that DIY case for a mid-size radiator, on top or in the front.
Well, you're actually there with the chassis, so if you're sure the top supports a radiator + fans at the top... then it is what it is, and I can't argue anything against that, other than how closed off the top looks.
When I tried to look up the model's fan and cooling support, I didn't see any mention of top radiator support - only rear and front(up to 280mm). So I assumed that the design allows enough space up there to install fans, but not both fans and a radiator.

As far as air coolers I do have some new ones besides the AMD stock Wraith coolers. I have a Thermaltake UX200 and a ID-Cooling SE-214 that are earmarked for a couple of Ryzen 5 builds. Reading through the online reviews ends up with mixed bag as to how much CPU they can cool. Since I don't know if they are enough for the 5900X so what would you recommend?
The downdraft coolers(Wraith and that UX200) worked ok in the times when aesthetics weren't as trendy.
As more and more chassis adopted side glass panels, and open air gpus(they dump their waste heat inside the PC) became more common + , downdrafts kinda fell off.
They work ok in low power use PCs or the chassis has some side intake, like the old NZXT Phantom(for example) did.
Weakpoints of downdrafts:
-most have low thermal capacity, even the ones advertised for high power cpus. Looking at you, Dark Rock TF + TF2...
-they 'cool down' on the heat from surrounding components, most notably open air gpus, if there isn't a side intake over them.

I suggest giving the ID SE-214 a test run. If a Vetroo V5 can deal with a 5900X, the SE-214 should be able to as well...
I'd have a hard time seeing the UX200 doing well when the 3060Ti is active.

Solution

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
Thanks for the inputs. Yeah, the heat dumped from the 3060 ti is a consideration. I'm going to do some measuring to be sure that the radiator and fans will fit without removing the glass first.
Thanks even more for the Youtube link. I like the videos from that guy but haven't done any searching on Youtube lately so I lost track of his stuff.

EDIT - checked the case - top area is oh so close but in the end about 1/4 inch short of enough room for the radiator and fans with the ASUS motherboard. So I will revert to air cooling or put one of the Ryzen 5 CPUs in this case. I am glad for the help.

Reactions: Phaaze88

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
Final solution in this case was a new case , literally. I found a new in box Thermaltake Core X5 for a very decent price and moved my son's build to that case. Now both of my sons have their builds in Core X5 cases. Though smaller than my Core X9 they have lots of room inside. I was able to put a Deepcool 360mm AIO on the 5900X.