Question Cooler Master ML240L + Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra reported temp of 102c on one random bootup

OMGPWNTIME

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I currently have the ML240L's pump plugged into the proper header (SYS_FAN5_PUMP), manually set to 3-pin and 'Full Speed' in the UEFI; It's been working fine. However on one bootup the other day the PC was running terribly sluggish and I could hear the AIO's fans cranking away at 100%. I opened up Ryzen Master and saw a terrifying 102c temp reported. I rebooted and thankfully it was back to a normal ~35c.

I know that means that the pump didn't start on that boot, but what I'm wondering is if it's possible I have a flaky pump, or could it be the mobo? I really wouldn't be surprised but the mobo as the restart fully fixed it, and it's never faltered while in use. I've honestly never had more problems than with this X570 board (never posting and just restarting over and over until CMOS is cleared, RAM speed sometimes changing from XMP 3600 to 2333 etc, although I think the latest F5 bios may have finally fixed the post issue as it hasn't happened since updating). I moved the pump into the other header (SYS_FAN6_PUMP) but so far it's only happened once in 2 months.

Has anyone else ever experienced this with the ML240L or any other AIO? I would really hate to have to RMA the cooler as trying to get the mounting bracket attached was honestly the most frustrating installation I've ever experienced.

Edit: Also, does anyone know if having my 3800x @ 102c for ~25 seconds is enough to cause any damage? I know Tj.Max is 95c, although of course this mobo doesn't seem to have a shutdown temp setting

Last edited:

MorganFreemun

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Yo, so i posted yesterday about something similar as my watercooler was not even turning on until my pc booted into windows, I think the solution to my problem and your problem might be similar, here is what i would suggest as its what I decided to do, unplug the pump header from the motherboard, get a 6 pin to Molex or an 8 pin to Molex, and a Molex to 3 pin fan header and plug your pump into that, this way the second you hit that power button your pump is on and your CPU is cooled, the only way that pump won't be on is if your power supply dies, hope this helps. my assumption is that your pump is doing what mine was.

OMGPWNTIME

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Yo, so i posted yesterday about something similar as my watercooler was not even turning on until my pc booted into windows, I think the solution to my problem and your problem might be similar, here is what i would suggest as its what I decided to do, unplug the pump header from the motherboard, get a 6 pin to Molex or an 8 pin to Molex, and a Molex to 3 pin fan header and plug your pump into that, this way the second you hit that power button your pump is on and your CPU is cooled, the only way that pump won't be on is if your power supply dies, hope this helps. my assumption is that your pump is doing what mine was.

Thank you for the response, that is an interesting solution and I'm sure I can find one that has a splitter to at least let the mobo read the pump flow rate but I'm hoping it's not just one sign of a bigger issue with the mobo (I also have terrible audio crackling with my USB Audio Interface; MBox3 - in any USB port except the USB 3.1 ports).

On a slightly positive note, while I haven't been able to find any definitive answer from AMD, it appears that thermal shutdown isn't until 110c so maybe the momentary 102c wasn't a permenant damage situation. It also doesn't seem to be getting any errors in Prime95.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Glitches happen. More often than not it's caused by fastboot. When you use windows shutdown, everything in your ram gets saved to disc. When you power up, that saved file gets loaded right back into ram, and that includes registry entries, drivers, cmos etc.

A Hard shutdown by holding power button for 5 seconds, pulling the plug, pushing the reset button wipes everything including cmos entries and forces the bios to start from scratch, rediscovering all your hardware, software, settings.

All it takes is one single bit of data to be wrong (think machine language, bunch of 1's and 0's) and something doesn't get started right.

I've booted my pc and had half of my start menu, like my Cam, realtemp, asus gpu, nvidia control panel, Norton, malwarebytes etc simply not start and pc is seriously sluggish. It happens. Quick reboot and all is good. Happens every 3-6 months or so. Got a Samsung TV that every now and then won't recognise the network on power up.

OMGPWNTIME

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Glitches happen. More often than not it's caused by fastboot. When you use windows shutdown, everything in your ram gets saved to disc. When you power up, that saved file gets loaded right back into ram, and that includes registry entries, drivers, cmos etc.

A Hard shutdown by holding power button for 5 seconds, pulling the plug, pushing the reset button wipes everything including cmos entries and forces the bios to start from scratch, rediscovering all your hardware, software, settings.

All it takes is one single bit of data to be wrong (think machine language, bunch of 1's and 0's) and something doesn't get started right.

I've booted my pc and had half of my start menu, like my Cam, realtemp, asus gpu, nvidia control panel, Norton, malwarebytes etc simply not start and pc is seriously sluggish. It happens. Quick reboot and all is good. Happens every 3-6 months or so. Got a Samsung TV that every now and then won't recognise the network on power up.

I'm not using fastboot, and I have 'fast startup' disabled through windows power options. I also use ErP in the UEFI as without it, it keeps my USB Audio Interface on when the PC is powered down.

If you don't want to disable 'fast startup' you can also do shift+shutdown and it will do a proper shutdown.