News Cooler Master showcases a massive 57-inch super ultrawide dual-4K Mini LED gaming monitor

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I just modeled up what I think would be an immersive enough screen for the next 10 years. I would expect much newer technology after 2035 to come about...

It would be a 1200 R 84 inch 42:9 aspect ratio screen that would barely fit on a 72 inch desk and take up a total of 18 inches of desk depth. 10080 x 2160 resolution apparently.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
I'm sceptical that it would be all that good an immersion, especially if you've at least once used a VR headset.

It's one of those uncanny gaps, that tend to actually widen as you believe you're getting closer.

It might work somewhat better with racing or space simulators, where your view is strictly forward, but I've tried flight simulators for the longest time with screens (actually since V1 on the Apple ][) and that just doesn't work for me at all: not on my big 42" 4k nor on a curved wide 3k 32" OLED ony of my sons owns, including with Tobii's eye tracker.

My son loves his curved screen, but perhaps that's because he is really constantly on the run and nearly all action is forward. I'm typically killed by the time I got my bearings in modern games, but until then I try to get oriented and that's where I yearn for VR, even if the headsets are a bother (HP Reverb Pro currently, Oculus DK1/DK2/CV1 before).

And I'm not sure I'd tolerate a curved screen for work. I've tried that virtually via Xreal, but the quality of that was too bad to get a really good impression.

I'd really have to try it first, but with these big monitors even if you get a free return, the sheer physical hassle of dealing with such a monster, makes that near impractical. Flat 42" screen were already marginal, when I had to return a broken one and couldn't just get a pick-up service.

And you really need to experience this with your games and your gaming hardware to know how your brain will accept or refuse to be immersed.

And if it's worth the non-trivial expense.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The problem I have with ultra-wide monitors is that you could also classify them as "ultra-short" (as in height). There is a reasonably well-defined best aspect ratio, which is somewhere between 16:9 and 2:1. Despite the pixel count/resolution of a monitor, your brain (or at least my brain) knows that it craves to see more of the up and down view when it is presented with such a wide angle. Despite telling me I'm seeing more, it just feels cut-off at the top. That observation may not apply once monitors get this gargantuan, however, since your head can only tilt upwards so far.

Reactions: PEnns

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
This is indeed the ultimate monitor for folks who like the 32" 4K, me though I prefer the 40" 4K so I can seat further away from the screen. That would be 72" super ultra wide for me thanks! While that doesn't exist there's the 80" 8K which does the same if you use only half of the screen, but then it's flat and at what price.... maybe this 58 can make it do until the 72 arrives?

TRENDING THREADS