[SOLVED] Cooler Master Silencio S600 too compact? NVME reaches 66 c under heavy load?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I have a system based up a Aeros Z390 Pro Motherboard, i9 9900k, 64 gb ram and Cooler Master Silencio S600 case, and RTX 2070 in x 16 slot next to the CPU and CPU cooler Noctua NS-D15. I had an issue the 970 evo plus number 1 would reach high temps in idle og 53 - 56 c. I then turned the system into Positive pressure cooled system. Meaning all fans blow inverts. This means I the fans during regular Windows 10 use to drop about 10c. But the main issue here is that drive number 1 reaches about 66 c during gaming. While CPU and the rest of the system doesn't go above 50 c. The second nvme runs very cool eventhough is near the fans from the graphics card.

I have 4 x 120 mm fans running, but could it be the S600 simply is not meant for casual FPS gaming?

Solution
I had an issue the 970 evo plus number 1 would reach high temps in idle og 53 - 56 c.
Not even toasty for an NVMe.

But the main issue here is that drive number 1 reaches about 66 c during gaming.
Still not really an issue, but there's a problem with your statements in that NVMes have 2 temperature readings:
-one is for the NAND flash. 66C is getting up there, but still safe.
-the other is for the drive controller, which actually prefers to run warm for best performance. I believe it's called the Phoenix controller - oh the irony in that name... 66C is not an issue.
So which sensor are you reporting back?

The second nvme runs very cool eventhough is near the fans from the graphics card.
That should be a given...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I had an issue the 970 evo plus number 1 would reach high temps in idle og 53 - 56 c.
Not even toasty for an NVMe.

But the main issue here is that drive number 1 reaches about 66 c during gaming.
Still not really an issue, but there's a problem with your statements in that NVMes have 2 temperature readings:
-one is for the NAND flash. 66C is getting up there, but still safe.
-the other is for the drive controller, which actually prefers to run warm for best performance. I believe it's called the Phoenix controller - oh the irony in that name... 66C is not an issue.
So which sensor are you reporting back?

The second nvme runs very cool eventhough is near the fans from the graphics card.
That should be a given, as the gpu fans are pulling the heat away from drive 2 and into itself.
Drive 1 is in the path of the gpu exhaust. Nothing unusual about those results.

I have 4 x 120 mm fans running, but could it be the S600 simply is not meant for casual FPS gaming?
The Silencio S600's purpose is in the name: low noise(dBA). Plus the sound dampening materials supposedly block certain frequencies(Hz).
There was no guarantees on thermals with this, since the focus was on noise emissions and looks.
If you also wanted great cooling potential, you got the wrong chassis. BUT! I don't see anything actually overheating from what you've posted so far, so there's no serious problem present.

Solution