Cooler Master Unveils New CM Storm Sirus S Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I was one of the early adopters for this headset and I can tell you it isn't that great. The sound is good and controls are ok. The control pod is located very high which makes it feel heavy. Comfortable but planning on getting something better!

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I have the original Sirus 5.1 and think it's the best headset I've tried and owned. More than worth the $100 I paid from my local Fry's store

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I agree. I've always wondered how integrated audio chips stack up against the discrete ones, using a standard budget speaker/headphone and a high quality speaker/headphone to determine the difference.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I agree. I've always wondered how integrated audio chips stack up against the discrete ones, using a standard budget speaker/headphone and a high quality speaker/headphone to determine the difference.[/citation]
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]Its been more than a year on headphones and it is the article Jane is mentioningThis is the latest review on Speakers on toms:http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,2836.htmlI prefer a review on audio cards.[/citation]
there's many out there, the more recent ones pretty much saying onboard sound has gotten so good, human ears cannot differentiate over the marginal .01% that discrete cards offer over them... if you get an audio card, just make sure it has all the dolby and thx certifications and at the very least its own built in amp... otherwise, you wont tell a difference. trust me, a guy whose been disappointed by several audio car purchases, a better pair of headphones would be a better investment.

Phenis

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]there's many out there, the more recent ones pretty much saying onboard sound has gotten so good, human ears cannot differentiate over the marginal .01% that discrete cards offer over them... if you get an audio card, just make sure it has all the dolby and thx certifications and at the very least its own built in amp... otherwise, you wont tell a difference. trust me, a guy whose been disappointed by several audio car purchases, a better pair of headphones would be a better investment.[/citation]
You're not using good enough headphones if you can't tell the difference.

I can easily tell between my Realtek ALC 892 onboard audio and my Creative X-fi Titanium HD with my Sennheiser HD 598s. The Titanium has a lot more clarity.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]When was the last time Tom's Hardware did a review on speakers or headphones?...I demand one...[/citation]

how much changed, there are about 3 people you deal with for low end headphones, i forget 2 of them but i remember sennheiser, and every now and than they swap what the best in that range is.

Sennheiser HD 558 are the great mid range headphones, with anything higher quality not giving you the same bang for your buck or really needing special equipment to properly drive them.

[citation][nom]dfirday[/nom]just waiting someone who say real 5.1 Headset is Real Gimmick.[/citation]

5.1 in headphones are, play a game like black light retrobution with just normal 2.0 headphones. its really the only game i have played where i can tell where something is coming from just by sound alone. the audio direction with that game is immaculate, so tell me why other games cant be just as good?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]there's many out there, the more recent ones pretty much saying onboard sound has gotten so good, human ears cannot differentiate over the marginal .01% that discrete cards offer over them... if you get an audio card, just make sure it has all the dolby and thx certifications and at the very least its own built in amp... otherwise, you wont tell a difference. trust me, a guy whose been disappointed by several audio car purchases, a better pair of headphones would be a better investment.[/citation]

it depends.

onboard is good enough, but once you get passed a certain point, it does make a difference, granted it may be small, but lets say you do get a Sennheiser HD 700 or 800 (2 of the best you can get) you would hear the difference, granted if you just get the cheapest sound cards you can yea, they wont be better than onboard.

G

well, am I the only one who noticed the in game 2-3 fps boost when I switched my sound card from on-board to discrete?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]random stalker[/nom]well, am I the only one who noticed the in game 2-3 fps boost when I switched my sound card from on-board to discrete?[/citation]

That's because the onboard sound chip uses the CPU for most of the processing.

Months ago, my laptop's speakers stopped working whenever I ran Team Fortress 2. It turned out that if I disabled the "SRS Prenium Sound", the audio works again, and TF2 runs a few FPS faster.

Now I leave the SRS PS on because TF2 no longer causes it to shut down.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm using the original CM Storm Sirus and I am quite pleased with them. The cable between the headset and the control device could be a little longer though.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Never got into headsets. They are a pain in the ass. I got a pair of Sennheiser HD555, and a Zalman clip on mic. Not only that I can unplug them from my ASUS Xonar Essence and plug them into my Onkyo Receiver and Technics Turntable. Or zone out with them in a coffee shop and not have a stupid mic attached. Best of all I was able to get them onsale at for $70 on an amazon deal, but after hearing the sound I would have gladly paid full price. So many friends I know have headsets sitting around with a broken mic or broken drivers (speakers). Seems like a waste. I like keeping things modular.

Status
Not open for further replies.