Cooler master v8 or noctua NH-D14?

gasolin

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
I can get a used Noctua NH-D14 for almost half price (not shure if it has be mounted) to replace my Cooler master v8, after i have put new thermal paste on the cpu/cooler (got a bit high temperatures moving my mb,cpu cooler to my new case) i got more normal temperatures and lower noise, so it's back to normal again.

Cooler master is an older model then the noctua, but i feel it's good and silent,quiet, the noctua is a newer model and is top of the line cpu "air" cooler, here they more or less all choose the noctua over the cooler master, why i don't know, lower temperatures and the prestige of having a noctua?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10526-coolermaster-v8-or-noctua-nh-d14-dual-radiator/

My cpu is a i7 870 oc'ed to 3.52ghz and i have about 45 degrees (celsius) not idle but load is very low, crysis 60-62 degress (celsius)

How good is the noctua compared to my cooler master?

Is it a waste of money, even if i almost can get the money that the noctua costs when i sell my cooler master ?

Solution
noctua is slightly better performance, but some of that is in the fans too. The noctua fan design is superior, and quieter. So it does deserve a notch up compared to the v8. IIRC your orig threads, you wanted quiet over anything - Noctua would be preferable for this. But being used, hard to say condition of the fans. granted they are 50k hour fans, but you don't know their life use or conditions. So you could find yourself replacing the fans

When getting a used cooler, be VERY aware of the condition of the heatsink surface, and heatsink fins

edit: you see coolermaster chosen often due to the Hyper 212 EVO - it's cost vs performance profile is significant, and makes a great value cooler

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
noctua is slightly better performance, but some of that is in the fans too. The noctua fan design is superior, and quieter. So it does deserve a notch up compared to the v8. IIRC your orig threads, you wanted quiet over anything - Noctua would be preferable for this. But being used, hard to say condition of the fans. granted they are 50k hour fans, but you don't know their life use or conditions. So you could find yourself replacing the fans

When getting a used cooler, be VERY aware of the condition of the heatsink surface, and heatsink fins

edit: you see coolermaster chosen often due to the Hyper 212 EVO - it's cost vs performance profile is significant, and makes a great value cooler

Solution