Cooler Master's Nepton 120XL and 240M Promise Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovah-chan

Honorable
I guess it's neat to see someone release a unit that tries to be quiet. If you've ever heard the stock fans on the Corsair H100i (which I hypothesize were made loud on purpose to get you to buy SP120's; which I did) then you know how loud stock AIO fans are compared to something like a Cryorig R1 Universal.

It's good that they are trying to be more quiet, but those who are in the know are going to purchase Gentle Typhoons or some other premium silent fans. (which have extremely high static pressure for their noise level, being able to push a lot air through radiator fins)

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
After using my H240-X from Swftech for a few weeks now, I'll never look at another companies AIO unless major improvements take place. Such a huge difference from the H100 I previously owned... it makes everyone else's coolers look and feel like toys.

alextheblue

Distinguished
are these rads aluminum to conflict with the copper heat plate? Corrosion isn't fun
That's the typical setup.. effective and affordable. There are things you can do to prevent corrosion such as using coolant consisting of distilled water and corrosion inhibitors (and is nonconductive or as close as possible), and plating internal surfaces if needed. But you know, it's not like Cooler Master et al have any engineers or anything. They're clearly a two-bit garage operation with no clue, and you've just rocked their world.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I guess it's neat to see someone release a unit that tries to be quiet. If you've ever heard the stock fans on the Corsair H100i (which I hypothesize were made loud on purpose to get you to buy SP120's; which I did) then you know how loud stock AIO fans are compared to something like a Cryorig R1 Universal.

It's good that they are trying to be more quiet, but those who are in the know are going to purchase Gentle Typhoons or some other premium silent fans. (which have extremely high static pressure for their noise level, being able to push a lot air through radiator fins)

I'd say they made them loud so they'd bench well at a low price. The fan(s) can be replaced easily enough, but what drives me nuts and in the past has turned me away from AIO kits is issues with pump noise. I would hope all of the modern kits have pumps that play well with PWM, are generally quiet, and don't rattle... but I'm still loathe to drop a pile of cash on one. Especially if you don't have a very good reason to go water, since there are many capable aircoolers on the market.

About Gentle Typhoons... weren't those retired? I'm sure they have a replacement though. If quiet is your thing there's also the Noctua NF-F focused flow 120mm unit. But that one is definitely not cheap.

vagrantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
not calling them a two bit operation, i've just had to fix /replace parts in two computers now from AIO corrosion leaks.

and isn't the point of an AIO to be cheap and hands off? the only ones I've seen that i would consider have been the two most recent swiftech ones (h220x and h240-x)... otherwise i just use air cooling

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I must replace dozens of Nepton 140 and 280 stock fans due to noise at high loads in Z97 workstations (lab environment). My Q is:

Are Nepton 120XL fans quiet at hi loads? Should I go for them but I didn't check whether CM sells them or not?

I'm pondering to go in favor of Swiftech 220 or 240 (new model) against CM Nepton 280 in the upcoming ten extreme X99 workstations (holiday season build schedule).

Please reply, thank you.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Indeed, H220x/240x or nothing. If you are thinking of buying any AIO and then paying more money to replace the stock fans, there is absolutely no reason to not go with the Swiftech. I have my 240X on a 5820K @ 4.1ghz all cores, and I get a 19 degree delta when running 12 threads of Prime95 with fans at ~850 RPM and the pump at ~1950 RPM. Stock fans are most definitely good enough/quite for a CPU only loop. Perhaps if you opened the loop to include a GPU you might look into something else, but even then, I don't think it would be needed.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I edited my previous post for better clarity.

I already bought many CM Neptons, and built machines (Asus Z97 WS) a few months ago. Neptons are excellent but noise at high loads (scientific/biotech/computational purposes) is the big issue. Some of my employees didn't like it at all.

Hence I plan to drop them in the upcoming X99 builds (five 5960X and five Xeon E5 v3) unless I find Nepton 240M to be really quiet.

Folks like me must need very quiet machines; don't mind just a bit temp sacrifice because lab environment takes care of it.

[OT] I do understand why many hardware companies, sites and reviewers focus mostly on gamers, and enthusiasts who do mostly OC and nothing much significant, say software development or whatever.

I'd love to see more from sites like TH for professionals or business folks like me.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Yes, there are like:

a) better cooling capability - keeping temp low enough vs. air cooling
b) concern about using bulky air coolers on expensive boards which carry expensive hardware

But I do use many air coolers in other machines; low end to mid range machines.

I'm checking out a few fans from Noctua, Scythe and Cougar for the planned replacement of Nepton stock fans. I'll take some good time so verify the dB results before ordering any of them.

Anyone got a suggestion? I mean, any specific quietest fan excels at heavy loads? Thank you.

vagrantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I have more concern about a pump failing or a hose leaking vs the towers failing, CM gemini II, never had issues with noctua or phanteks sinks damaging anything in transit either.

for the value these cougar 4pack 120mm ones are hard to beat unless you go expensive like the noctuas (120mm starting place): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=noctua%20120mm&bop=And&CompareItemList=-1%7C35-553-008%5E35-553-008-TS%2C35-553-009%5E35-553-009-TS%2C35-608-004%5E35-608-004-S01%2C35-608-026%5E35-608-026-TS%2C35-608-038%5E35-608-038-TS&percm=35-608-004%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B35-608-026%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B35-608-038%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24

Status
Not open for further replies.