Cooler Master's NovaTouch TKL Has Expensive Topre Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Not sure why the author felt the need to throw in the little jab at the end about the price. Find me another topre keyboard that's considerably less expensive, because the cheapest I know of is about 150 bucks, which puts this right in the area for a name-brand one.

Sure, it's more expensive than a Cherry mech board, but even then not outrageously so. Besides, that's not the point. You're paying for the Topres, not the ability to use a keyboard.

IMO for a TKL Topre board, there will be a buyer more than happy to pay the entrance fee. Just because the author doesn't get it, or hasn't done his research on exactly what is being sold doesn't mean he can forego journalistic integrity and make it an opinion piece.

fools

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
lol the profit margin must be insane considering how cheap a standard keyboard is. Its just a little bit of plastic and a spring its not rocket science no matter how manny marketing buzz words they throw in there. Sure the little extra plastic parts might add another cent or two in production cost compared to a regular rubber dome but come on. Well a fool and his money as they say, I congratulate cooler master on their brilliant buisness strategy.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
lol the profit margin must be insane considering how cheap a standard keyboard is. Its just a little bit of plastic and a spring its not rocket science no matter how manny marketing buzz words they throw in there. Sure the little extra plastic parts might add another cent or two in production cost compared to a regular rubber dome but come on. Well a fool and his money as they say, I congratulate cooler master on their brilliant buisness strategy.

Cent or two? In production you can do the entire rubber dome keyboard all together, while the switches, being mechanical and having individual activators have to be made one by one. They are also made by a different company which also wants to make money. In the consumer market, cherry mx switches are 2.50 per switch MINIMUM. For manufacturers I would expect something just under a dollar per switch. The profit margin on these is incredibly small when you compare it to a lot of other keyboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.