Cooler spinning fast and being loud

tomtaylor0109

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
I've got an intel i7 7700k and I'm cooling it with a Cryorig H7 Quad Limi. Problem is, it is just spinning too loud. I am using a GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 motherboard. I have tried messing with the Smart Fan 5 settings, but it is still loud. Especially when I start gaming, but also in idle mode. Interesting fact is that when I stop playing, it still continues on spinning that fast. Any suggestions, what should I do?

Thank you in advance.

shiitaki

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

The two things to check are CPU temp and the physical temp of the heat sink. If the heatsink is cold while the fan is spinning fast then you check the CPU temps. If the CPU temps are high it indicates that the heat is not being transported to the cooler, cooler is mounted wrong or missing thermal compound. If the CPU is not hot then you need to go after the settings in the motherboard or maybe a defective fan/motherboard.

tomtaylor0109

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017

I used to have a different motherboard with a different CPU and its cooler and there I didn't have any problems. Both temperatures are normal, the cooler is mounted right and there is no missing thermal compound. What settings should I look into?